Need bigger hole
(02-13-2019, 03:14 PM)Large Wooden Badger Wrote: Linky

Here is one way to do it.

If you are able to get the bit in the exact center of the dowel.  Though I would not know how to do that.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(02-13-2019, 03:14 PM)Large Wooden Badger Wrote: Linky

Here is one way to do it.

Ok, now that is pretty slick. On LWB's web page link, there's another link to a page that has a video at the bottom: video link
(02-13-2019, 03:01 PM)Cian Wrote: Interestingly, Harbor Freight sells them:

https://www.harborfreight.com/silver-and...61802.html

Yes, and a 20% coupon works for them.  So will a 25% coupon, but I have not seen one for President's Day and the OP probably can't wait for Easter (the next likely holiday HF will have a 25%'er). 

Paul
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
(02-12-2019, 06:11 PM)Cian Wrote: Use embedded hole saws.  Instead of the drill bit as the traditional center guide, you can use the 3/4" hole saw (since thats the size of your existing hole) inside a 1" hole saw.

More here:
https://onemansblog.com/2016/07/19/enlar...-saw-hole/

There is a special arbor specifically for doing this, but you can try kludging something together to effectively make this:
[Image: Sears-Dual-Arbor-580x580.jpg]
There's a guy on Youtube (AVE) that has a video with this trick. Worth checking out his vijehoes even if you use one of the other tips.
(02-12-2019, 12:49 PM)Gurubandhu Wrote: I have some  3/4 " holes  in 3/4"thick wood.  I need to make 1" holes to enlarge.  I tried a spade bit but the spade ws all over the place.  What do people recommend to use instead or that I do differently?  Thanks,

GB

I prefer to use a step bit to enlarge the 3/4" to 1" and then finish the 1" with a forstner bit.

I've also ground a 1" bit down so it starts at the size of the smaller hole.

Last, I've seen where you can take a piece of dowel the size of the smaller hole... cut a slot in it and attach it to the larger bit and use it as a centering guide.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Some very good ideas here.

Cool
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.