Need bigger hole
(02-12-2019, 05:42 PM)ez-duzit Wrote: You don't need to go to the store to make an alignment jig from a scrap of wood. Drill a 1" hole through the scrap and clamp it over your workpiece.
That's a great idea.   I'll do that.  Thanks

GB
Use embedded hole saws.  Instead of the drill bit as the traditional center guide, you can use the 3/4" hole saw (since thats the size of your existing hole) inside a 1" hole saw.

More here:
https://onemansblog.com/2016/07/19/enlar...-saw-hole/

There is a special arbor specifically for doing this, but you can try kludging something together to effectively make this:
[Image: Sears-Dual-Arbor-580x580.jpg]
Cian has it!
Yes

I bought an Oops Arbor a few years ago and have used it a few times since. It was the perfect tool for my perfect mistake...
Crazy 

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
You can do it like this.
As others have said your best results will be from a forstner bit.
[Image: 23891610267_7b844bd692_m.jpg]
If you use the piece of scrap trick, make sure to mark centerlines (crosshair fashion) before you drill the hole, then extend those lines down into the hole. If you have the same marks on the 3/4" hole, lining up is a piece of cake.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-12-2019, 12:49 PM)Gurubandhu Wrote: I have some  3/4 " holes  in 3/4"thick wood.  I need to make 1" holes to enlarge.  I tried a spade bit but the spade ws all over the place.  What do people recommend to use instead or that I do differently?  Thanks,

GB

The simplest way is to buy a 1" Silver and Deming bit, not sure if the Borgs have bits that large (I have bought 5/8" and 3/4" from the Borg, not sure I saw 1").  Pretty much self centering, no need to make a jig or fill in the hole to re-drill, and I have found that using any other method to try to enlarge a hole to be frustrating.  Step drills do work well for enlarging holes in sheetmetal, not anything as thick as what you are looking to drill.  If you have a HF nearby, you can pick up a set of Silver and Deming bits with a 20% coupon they can be cost effective.

Paul
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
A regular twist drill will self-center.  Probably better in  a drill press but if you keep the drill vertical, you can use a hand drill.  A spade drill will absolutely not work no matter what you do.

https://www.amazon.com/Drillco-1000EF-Hi...+drill+bit

[Image: 31vokZHPY+L._AC_US218_.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
"The simplest way is to buy a 1" Silver and Deming bit."
--pprobus

Silver and Deming! Now that is a drill style I have not heard mentioned or seen on store shelves in years.
(02-13-2019, 02:02 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: "The simplest way is to buy a 1" Silver and Deming bit."
--pprobus

Silver and Deming! Now that is a drill style I have not heard mentioned or seen store shelves in years.

Interestingly, Harbor Freight sells them:

https://www.harborfreight.com/silver-and...61802.html
Linky

Here is one way to do it.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere