looking for New RO sander
(02-15-2019, 07:56 PM)Mr Eddie Wrote: I have an older model Mirka Ceros connected to a Festool vac.  I like the way it feels and the job it does.  Dust control is exceptional when using the Abranet mesh paper.  I bought the sander and the vac, used, at steep discounts to retail.

Lonnie

Hi Lonnie

I have just purchased a near-new Ceros and am interested how you connected it to your Festool vac. I have the CT26E. 

The Festool 27mm hose does not fit the Ceros. I tried a rubber coupling, which does work, but it unbalances the sander (compared with removing the Festool end on the Festool hose, and then screwing in this hose). The Festool hose feels so better balanced this way. However it would be a pain to remove and replace the fitting each time I want to use the Ceros. I am planning to purchase the 27mm Mirka hose for the Ceros. 

What did you do?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Hi Derek,
I installed a 'Y' connector on the vacuum so I can keep the sander hooked up and still have the festool hose to use with my other tools.  I got the 'Y' from Fein but I don't think they are available anymore.  At the time, the Festool 'Y' was $38 and the Fein was $15.  The Fein is also more compact than the Festool.  I use the Mirka hose and connector and it seems to work fine.  I use one hand on the sander and the other to keep the hose positioned.  Here's a couple of pictures -

The whole point of purchasing and using a Ceros is because it is the lightest sander available, and the point of this is feedback, low fatigue, and control. I have a couple of the little hand sanders. I was using them with the 27mm Festool hose, and this felt too heavy. I have ordered the Mirka 20mm hose, which is designed for it.

I did have a concern how to deal with the Ceros transformer, then had an idea, and it looks like it is going to work well ...

This is the Festool CT26E vacuum cleaner with a Dust Commander. This model is anti-static, and the 50mm connecting hose is also anti-static ...

[Image: M1.jpg]

For interest, this is the sander I have used for 20 years. Before Festool, it was Festo. This is the forerunner of the ETS 150. It is large and heavy, but still going strong ...

[Image: M3.jpg]

It is the complete opposite of the Mirka Ceros, which is light and nimble. Here is the Ceros with the Festool 27mm hose attached (screwed in) ...

[Image: M4.jpg]

The hose hangs from a hook on the ceiling.

How did I deal with the transformer? Well, the Dust Commander is attached to the CT26E with a systainer that came with a drill. This is just deep enough to fit the transformer ...

[Image: M6.jpg]

I can close the lid, and you would not know it is there ...

[Image: M7.jpg]

I ordered the 27mm Mirka hose last night and will dedicate this to the Ceros.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Do you trust FW tool reviews?

If so, Craftsman 320 39592 ($55) for the best-value ROS:

https://www.finewoodworking.com/2018/10/...it-sanders

Simon
(02-15-2019, 07:23 PM)jteneyck Wrote: What do you think was not fair or accurate?  What data supports your belief that Festool sanders, specifically the ETS-150/s, perform better, are more durable, require less maintenance, etc., than the ROS65VC?  What leads you to conclude that Festool is a step up in any category besides price?   

John

For one; you've gone from a generalization to a specific now.  Everyone can cherry pick a example that bucks the norm.

My data is decades of shop and filed use with all the major brands.

Festool is a step up sander from lots of others.  I'll bet you won't convince many that their sanders aren't a step up from anything in the sander section at your local BORG.   Does that mean that every sander is better ?  Heck no.  Does it mean that the added cost represents a good value ?  Depends on the end users needs and means. 

But, that's entirely different than "it's not a step up"
(02-18-2019, 10:24 AM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: For one; you've gone from a generalization to a specific now.  Everyone can cherry pick a example that bucks the norm.

My data is decades of shop and filed use with all the major brands.

Festool is a step up sander from lots of others.  I'll bet you won't convince many that their sanders aren't a step up from anything in the sander section at your local BORG.   Does that mean that every sander is better ?  Heck no.  Does it mean that the added cost represents a good value ?  Depends on the end users needs and means. 

But, that's entirely different than "it's not a step up"

I was specific from the start about the ROS65VC compared to Festool.  After you challenged that comparison I got specific as to which Festool model I considered.  I didn't cherry pick which Festool model to compare it to but if you think another model would be a better comparison please do so.    

John
My first PC ROS only lasted 17 years so I bought another 6 years ago. I also bought the 7336 right angle sander, a real work horse.
Maybe a stupid question here, but what makes the higher end ROS better?  I've been running a 5" PC single speed sander for 15 years.  It seems to work well, but I don't have any comparison to anything better.  I've replaced the belt and pad once, so longevity has been good.  I do usually do a bit of hand sanding afterwords to remove any tiny swirls, are other sanders better about this?  I have started using Mirka paper exclusively for woodworking and have been happy with it.

Last year I built a v-drum sander, so I use that for the bulk of my sanding now, so I don't have a need to hog off a bunch of material.

I did buy a universal hose kit to attach the sander to a dust-collector port.  I know this isn't ideal, but it does better than the "filter".  I also use a mask and ambient air cleaner.

So what are the advantages to the mid to high end sanders?
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.
(02-24-2019, 02:27 PM)lincmercguy Wrote: So what are the advantages to the mid to high end sanders?

For me, it is vibration, noise and dust collection, especially the last one. In certain jobs, the dual-mode feature is a plus.

Simon
Many higher end sanders are specifically engineered for low vibration and efficient dust collection.  They also seem to have a finer scratch pattern, even for the same orbit value of lower cost models.  When I have to flush the joints on faceframes, for example, I only use my ROS; if I follow up by hand I end up making scratches that weren't there after finishing with the ROS.  

John