Occam's Razor
So, after doing a bunch of online research I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't locate the right set of Goldilocks' pegs for the cribbage board I made; the comments were mixed, "Too big" or "Too small." I decided to make them myself.

I won't bore you with all the things I tried, but I ended up putting standard fluted 1/4" dowels in my drill press (I don't have a lathe) and carefully sanding them down until they were, as Goldilocks would say, "just right" to fit the holes on my board. I then cut them to a common length and did some rough sanding on the end you grasp (I intentionally want these to be "hand made" so slight differences are fine).

Anyway, I got them all done and was thinking later about how I might construct a jig to allow me to replicate the pointy parts in case I ever needed to make more pegs. It occurred to me that what I was contemplating was, essentially, a pencil sharpener. Eureka! I almost shouted.

I headed out to the garage, grabbed a dowel, and put it in my old-school Boston K5 (the kind we all remember from grade school).

I've included a picture of the hand-made peg (on the right) and the unfinished results from the K5 (they just need to be cut to length, but this is about the science).

Experience is what you get right after you need it...

Cool
Cool 

I suppose you've considered golf pegs already
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I did. But that seemed like cheating and lacked a certain panache.
WoodNet vocabulary word of the day: "Panache."

Cool

For extra credit,  explain why it is "Occams' Razor"  

and not, "Occam's Razor."

Winkgrin

and yes, golf tees would be cheating!!
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I have one of those pencil sharpeners.  LOML has asked many times why I keep it. I just tell her it is just too useful to part with.  You can sharpen all kinds of things in there.
(02-14-2019, 05:30 PM)stav Wrote: I have one of those pencil sharpeners.  LOML has asked many times why I keep it. I just tell her it is just too useful to part with.  You can sharpen all kinds of things in there.

I have 2 of them. These items are *over my dead body* items.
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-14-2019, 06:17 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I have 2 of them. These items are *over my dead body* items.
Laugh

I only have one, but it is perfect for cutting plugs for the Veritas  Plugger.   http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/Page.as...2240,53317
(02-14-2019, 08:16 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: I only have one, but it is perfect for cutting plugs for the Veritas  Plugger.   http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/Page.as...2240,53317
I have a small collection of them..A couple are really old and $$$..
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Just to set the record straight it’s a KS , I used to work at the company.

Attached Files Image(s)

I would have modified golf tees.  Or I might have just bought the pegs.  I guess then I would have had to buy the pegs first and drill to suit.

https://www.amazon.com/Spare-Wood-Cribba...B000JWLQ5W
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.