Hookup On 230 Volt Fan?
    I have a 230 volt fan that the terminals are labeled PE, N And L. The N is not something I have seen before. I assume I hook both hots to L and N. Can anyone verify?
Gary
In the right view, is the rectangle with 2 wires from the terminal strip a capacitor or some kind of switch?  If so, one hot leg to L and the other to N. PE should be ground and have an identified conductor coming from the motor.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(02-16-2019, 04:49 PM)blackhat Wrote: In the right view, is the rectangle with 2 wires from the terminal strip a capacitor or some kind of switch?  If so, one hot leg to L and the other to N. PE should be ground and have an identified conductor coming from the motor.

That is a Capacitor the picture. I felt L and N but the N was iffy to me. Thanks for looking at it.
Gary
(02-16-2019, 04:49 PM)blackhat Wrote: In the right view, is the rectangle with 2 wires from the terminal strip a capacitor or some kind of switch?  If so, one hot leg to L and the other to N. PE should be ground and have an identified conductor coming from the motor.

+1 on blackhats reply.   This is a European motor where their supply system is different.   Think of their N as our L2 when in the US.     PE is earth ground and separate from N .   Roly

Why does the second wire from the capacitor got to an unused terminal?

What is the meaning of that black symbol between the N and L terminal?

Confused
Confused
Confused
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
One lead from the motor lands on the same terminal. It's kind of hidden. The symbol is a screw that holds the terminal strip to the fan frame.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

This fan and a transmission cooler is an after cooler I added to my compressor. Still need to paint and add a guard. The fan will run when the compressor motor runs.
Gary

Attached Files Image(s)

For 220v, it looks to me you would close L with the unmarked terminal for fan to run. N looks to be common to motor. Unless there is some kind of internal jumper(s), or my glasses are on upside down- happens.
(02-17-2019, 08:19 AM)daddo Wrote: For 220v, it looks to me you would close L with the unmarked terminal for fan to run.  N looks to be common to motor. Unless there is some kind of internal jumper(s), or my glasses are on upside down- happens.

I think you are correct daddo as the rectangle in the product drawing picture is the motor.   There would be a switch or relay connected to the unmarked and L terminals.  Remember that one leg of the motor will be hot at all times on our electrical system unless you use a double pole switch or relay.   From the actual picture it does appear there is a small capacitor mounted on the frame.   Roly
Would it be more effective if the fan was blowing the hot air away from the compressor area? You can draw air over the coil instead of pushing it, if you want to turn the fan/motor around.

[Image: O9Gn3Yt.jpg]