Drawer slide options
Wow, thanks lincmercguy and museumguy. More good low-cost options!

Willyou Wrote:Check these out. I've made several sets and they work great.
Intriguing. I can't see the full Fine Woodworking article, but I did some googling for similar items. Can they hold a decent weight (75lb or more)? Do they take up additional width beyond what standard ball bearing slides use (1/2" usually).

KLaz Wrote:Here is my cabinet that is getting close to being completed. Just need to install 9 more drawers in the third bay & 1 drawer above the fridge.
WOW. That looks amazing. Once you're done with yours, you're more than welcome to come make me a set! I'll provide the beer.

Especially that cabinet on the left is what I'm looking for. Lots of short drawers to hold small items. What thickness plywood did you use for the drawer bottoms?

Thanks,
Tyler
(02-20-2019, 08:00 PM)OneStapl Wrote: Intriguing.  I can't see the full Fine Woodworking article, but I did some googling for similar items.  Can they hold a decent weight (75lb or more)?  Do they take up additional width beyond what standard ball bearing slides use (1/2" usually).

Thanks,
Tyler

I have made most of mine 1/2" thick, but did make some 1/4" on some very small drawers. You can make them as strong as you need them to be by increasing the vertical cross-section and/or using a stronger wood. I have some that I can fully extend and then stand on them. They are a bit tedious to make, but that becomes less so when you are making several. Also, if comparing to $5-$10 per pair for metal slides, it may not be worth it to you. However, there is some satisfaction in making your own.
(02-20-2019, 08:00 PM)OneStaple Wrote: Wow, thanks lincmercguy and museumguy.  More good low-cost options!

Intriguing.  I can't see the full Fine Woodworking article, but I did some googling for similar items.  Can they hold a decent weight (75lb or more)?  Do they take up additional width beyond what standard ball bearing slides use (1/2" usually).

WOW.  That looks amazing.  Once you're done with yours, you're more than welcome to come make me a set!  I'll provide the beer.

Especially that cabinet on the left is what I'm looking for.  Lots of short drawers to hold small items.  What thickness plywood did you use for the drawer bottoms?

Thanks,
Tyler

Tyler,

Sides are 1/2" ply and the bottoms are 1/4".  I'll use Integra 1/4" underlayment ply from Menards or Baltic Birch.  The underlayment has multiple plys just like Baltic Birch and is a true 1/4".  Other types of 1/4" plywoods just seem flimsy.
"This is our chance, this our lives, this is our planet we're standing on. Use your choice, use your voice, you can save our tomorrows now." - eV
I built this cabinet to store electronic parts, and I also built shallow tool drawers for my ham radio electronics benches.   The parts/storage cabinet is 40 inches wide with 37" X 24" X 2" drawers at the top.   The drawers show no tendency to rack.  

[Image: PA020008-L.jpg]

The bench mounted tool drawers are also not heavily loaded but are of more conventional dimensions.

[Image: PA130012-L.jpg]

The tool drawer on the old radio bench is also wide at 3 feet more or less

The only slides I've ever used were just plain China Brand "X" full extension ball bearing slides from the local hardwood wholesaler. Never have had a problem in the fifteen or so years I've used them.

[Image: ToolDrawerFeb2019-L.jpg]

Another solution would be to research used office furniture stores, looking for "flat files", cabinets that drafting documents were stored in.   They are usually fairly reasonable, and the drawer depths range from an inch and a half to 4 inches or so, and are often 4 feet wide and close to three feet deep.    You can store a ton of tools in those cabinets.   I have two of them out in the tractor shed and they are great.