looking for source 1/2" Barrel nut ( Dowel nut)
(02-17-2019, 09:53 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Lee Valley has these:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.as...55&p=67659

...although the cross dowels themselves look a little short.

Rockler has these:

https://www.rockler.com/heavy-duty-cross...olt-8-pack

...although they're 1/2-12?

Woodcraft has these:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/highp...lt-4-piece

...although they state 1/2" w/o TPI, so I don't know if they're -13 (which is typical, right?).

Phil   Thanks
Thanks everyone,  good information.
Finding 1/2 threaded barrel dowel is challenge. There is only one company makes them as regular items.Their minimum purchase quantity is 144 pieces.
They are 1/2 threaded on 1" stock, about 1 " long.  
I need at least 2.5 " long so that is not an option
This for the workbench I am building, I choose 1/2 inch as bolt for the size of legs and stretcher. 
I am looking at Benchcraft offering and see if that will fit.
If not my other choice will be making my own out of 1" mild steel stock.

I am a average woodworker, now I have to learn metalworking.
(02-17-2019, 02:46 PM)Jack01 Wrote: I am looking for source 1/2" Barrel nut ( Dowel nut)
So far I have not located yet. 
I only need 4 nuts.

Once source I found the minimum order was 144 nuts.
Any suggestions.

I am looking for cross dowels for 1/2 screw.

Make them from a machinable plastic like Acetal .Delrin etc. They drill and tap easily and quite strong. If Ace Hardware does not carry the rods then do a search for local supplier. The shipping costs would probably be more than the rod. You only need 6" or less. No lubricant needed when drilling or tapping. Drill press would be ideal and a " V " block to hold the rod. Make a V block from wood. Screw 2 scrap pieces together to form the V and add a scrap to each end to keep the V vertical.

mike
No need to overdo this unless you really want to.

You can easily make a cross-dowel - especially in a larger size - by taking a standard hex nut and recessing it into a wood dowel of an appropriate diameter.

Just make a saddle-type cut in the dowel equal to the width of the nut, then cross-drill the dowel in the appropriate location.

(or you can literally mortise the nut into the dowel).

I built mine this way for my workbench, although being into overkill, I use 5/8" Acme nuts and blackpipe instead of wood dowels.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
(02-25-2019, 03:31 PM)MKepke Wrote: No need to overdo this unless you really want to.

You can easily make a cross-dowel - especially in a larger size - by taking a standard hex nut and recessing it into a wood dowel of an appropriate diameter.

Just make a saddle-type cut in the dowel equal to the width of the nut, then cross-drill the dowel in the appropriate location.

(or you can literally mortise the nut into the dowel).

I built mine this way for my workbench, although being into overkill, I use 5/8" Acme nuts and blackpipe instead of wood dowels.

-Mark

Mark;

I was going into same direction before your post.
Couple of days ago , I inserted a nut into 1" dowel, looks like it will work, i still have some finishing work and final assembly.
I know more once this is installed
I did make barrel nuts out of 1 1/4 inch wood dowel.
Use regular 1/2  inch hex nut on one side.
This dowel fit good in 1 1/4 inch hole.
Dowel is 2 inch long and 1 1/4 wide(round)
Bolt is 7 inch long
1 1/4 inch dowel provided good leverage for the bolt, the joint is tight. I was able to get good torque.

Here are pictures, excuse for ugly mortensen cut, it was a challenge to cut on round stock.
I am hoping that it will work for along time.

Attached Files Image(s)

I have some 1" cold rolled round stock on hand. 20$ plus actual shipping and I will make you the four 2" long dowels.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!