I can not believe how time has passed
In 15 days it will be 11 years since I was in the bombing in the middle east.  It is also hard to think it was 7 years of therapy and getting out of a wheel chair then a walker and then the whole 7 years or learning to read and write and cognitive thinking.

Then joining here in March of 2010 two years after and all I have learned here including turning, hand tools and just to me getting out in public again and talking.

It seems so long ago and just like yesterday.  I still have a lot of problems and learning but it has been a good time here. 
Yes
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
That's been a helluva journey, Arlin, but I'm glad you're here!
Yes
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Thanks Arlin--not just for your service & sacrifice 11 years ago, but also for your continued service to those who keep us free.
earl
I'm sure it's been a rough ride at times Arlin but I'm glad you are here and are so committed to helping other vets!
Glad your doing better. It’s great that your giving back.
Don
Thank you guys

I had an idea from a post in S&S where a guy is helping home school kids learn how to do wood working.  Since we homeschooled our daughters for their whole 12 years I would love to teach home schoolers here as well wood turning.

I know how much my daughters loved to learn new things and would have jumped at the chance of learning wood working / turning.

So I talked to my wife and she said OK but not until summer and to get my other projects done for other people first.  Also she suggested having only 2 at a time once per week.  Since she is smarter them me I will take her advise.

So asking here what is everyone's best advise for kids besides the normal I teach to the vets or is it the same???
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

The usual first project here is a drop-nose scraper: round nose on one end and square nose on the other. Copper ferrule and some CA to harden the threads for the set screw(s). My niece was into softball so her first tool hamdle looked like a small baseball bat. Her first peppermill looked like a lighthouse.
Big Grin

A shipping pallet with a sheet of plywood covering it can help with height. Just be sure to provide a spotter at all times so that they (or you) do not fall.

What do you usually teach the vets first?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(02-19-2019, 12:52 AM)iclark Wrote: The usual first project here is a drop-nose scraper: round nose on one end and square nose on the other. Copper ferrule and some CA to harden the threads for the set screw(s). My niece was into softball so her first tool hamdle looked like a small baseball bat. Her first peppermill looked like a lighthouse.
Big Grin

A shipping pallet with a sheet of plywood covering it can help with height. Just be sure to provide a spotter at all times so that they (or you) do not fall.

What do you usually teach the vets first?

How I teach anyone is below and think it will fit anyone of any age as well, but correct me if anything maybe incorrect or can do better.

1.  Everything about the lathe and how it works and what each part works with the whole thing.
2.  Spindle turning doing coves, beads, flats and diamonds and when they are done with that they take it home to
     sturdy it and see what they did or could do better and to bring it back with them for references.
3.  Turn a pen or pencil with what they learned on spindle turning and how all the tools work with doing it and putting
     them together.
4.  After that and they feel they can then bud vases, bowls, and regular vases.  Will not do hollowing since I do not
     know much about it myself but they can try my hollowing tools.
5.  Keep teaching safety the whole time when they need it and also give them a safety list at the beginning.

First off, Arlin, like everyone else, I appreciate your service and your participation here.

As to whether this would work for kids, I think I'd start off with something that results in a finished project rather than just an intermediate step. Bore a hole in the workpiece, and make the study of beads, coves, flats, and diamonds into a bud vase for Mom, or something of that nature.

Adults can more easily stomach something that's merely a teaching tool towards a separate end result (or so I'm told by adults...I wouldn't know
Wink ), but kids like to see results early on.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
Good Idea.  Either a bud vase or pen.

Thanks