HF grinder nut question
I have the HF 8" bench grinder, model 39798.

I lost the arbor nut for the right side. It's a right hand thread bur I don't know what size it is. A 3/4" nut starts threading, but jams, so I think it's a metric thread.

Any help?
Semper fi,
Brad

It's a Harbor Freight product, of course it's metric.
Big Grin Maybe a M18 or M20.
Write to them.  The address is on the last page of the owners manual.  The part is shown in the exploded diagram so you won't have trouble identifying it.

https://manuals.harborfreight.com/manual.../39797.pdf
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(02-18-2019, 03:48 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I have the HF 8" bench grinder, model 39798.

I lost the arbor nut for the right side.   It's a right hand thread bur I don't know what size it is.  A 3/4" nut starts threading, but jams, so I think it's a metric thread.

Any help?

Take one off the other side and make 1 trip to the hardware store.
Then 2 more trips for other stuff you really needed.
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(02-18-2019, 03:55 PM)sweensdv2 Wrote: It's a Harbor Freight product, of course it's metric.
Big Grin  Maybe a M18 or M20.

I would agree it's probably a 20mm nut. Problem is, if you get a hardware store variety the face of the nut may not be perpendicular to the threads. That would put uneven pressure on the grinding wheel. Not a good thing.
But would the HF manufacturer, actually face those nuts.........
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I called. It's a 1/2-13.
Semper fi,
Brad

(02-18-2019, 11:28 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I called.  It's a 1/2-13.

Cool
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

You can tell if a nut has been properly faced and trued to the threads. Usually done on a nut chuck, One side of the nut will have a definite flat surface, sometimes with a small circular extended ridge.
(02-18-2019, 03:48 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I have the HF 8" bench grinder, model 39798.

I lost the arbor nut for the right side.   It's a right hand thread bur I don't know what size it is.  A 3/4" nut starts threading, but jams, so I think it's a metric thread.
 Is what you are calling a 3/4" nut, the bore or wrench size ?  I can see where a 1/2"x13 nut would start threading on a M12 thread but a 3/4" bore would fall on.  The manual says model 39798 is a 8" grinder which lists a 5/8" bore for the grinding wheels.   A 3/4" wrench will fit a 1/2x13 nut,   3/4" &19mm are very close in size which will fit a M12 nut.
 Yes I am confused.  Roly