Circular saw kickback?
Thanks for sharing the leg injury story, and luckily no life was lost.

Those two guys in the anti kickback video are onto something, and I hope their invention and subsequent work would bear fruit.

Simon
(02-18-2019, 11:03 PM)appletonrc Wrote: I'm a fan of this youtube channel, though I'm not fully sold on this one.  When I've used my circular saw, most of your weight is above the saw and if it does bind, I've had a pretty good handle on it.  Think it will make it into production?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdW7vhYYSdM

This is a great video. The part I liked the best was when one of the perpetrators stood with his face in the path of the saw.

The video reminds me of building models cars with friends, and sending them flying down the up stairs hallway at each other, to see which car survived. We would patch them up, put the guy back in, and do it again.

The test would be improved if they had two circular saws aimed at each other, so they would collide on the up swing. The saws could be armed with little explosive tipped spears to take out the electronics on the other saw, resulting in sparks and fire.

Next: Belt sander jousting tank warfare
Though it is 10 yrs old, this article about the danger of circular saws is still valid https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/to...0/4286772/

Track saws or plunge cut saws are safer than circular saws, but they are a lot more expensive. So an anti-kick feature on the circular saws would be a welcome feature.

Simon
This European saw (which I know nothing about) has a built in splitter.

https://toolsdepot.my/products/Einhell-T...r-Saw/2251

[Image: 98638cc524ed156179bf11f5d964a8381513563147-sm.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
The EU guys seem to be always ahead...they mandated the riving knife on the table saws while our saw makers and importers were still embracing the splitters.

Simon
(02-18-2019, 11:03 PM)appletonrc Wrote: I'm a fan of this youtube channel, though I'm not fully sold on this one.  When I've used my circular saw, most of your weight is above the saw and if it does bind, I've had a pretty good handle on it.  Think it will make it into production?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdW7vhYYSdM

Those guys are complete morons. Nothing they are testing is applicable in real life with someone actually cutting something normally.

Kickback on Tablesaw is completely different beast.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who can read binary code and those who can't.

"To be against hunting, fishing and trapping you have to be spiritually stupid." Ted Nugent
they had me until they started talking about deep learning.

A riving knife isn't a bad idea given the poor quality of construction wood nowadays.
They talked about what? I only watched the first minute or so, jumped over to the solution part, and stopped watching long before the video ended. I seldom watch any youtube videos in their entirety. Most youtube vids are too long winded for my taste. They all love to talk...and I have no time for that.e

But at least these two guys have raised some awareness about the kickback safety aspect of circular saws.

Simon
I was watching a episode of Home Town and the carpenter was ripping a 2 x 4 down its lenght.  It was a narrow sliver coming off so kick back is almost not possible.  But ripping a 2 x 6 in wet pressure treated wood is very prone to kickback.  

Personally I only cut sheet goods and cross cuts with my  circular saw.  I think that is the norm and you are not likely to get kick back from either.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
My first circular saw was a Skil model I was given probably 50+ years ago. 120v corded very light weight saw. I used it for about 10 years lightly. Then I bought a Skill Mag77 worm gear drive.  Maybe I am more careful, but I have never had a kickback where the saw came out of the cut. Closest is when the saw moves straight back. And I do try to force the blade back on line as shown in the construction video. I most often pull back in the cut to do that--minimizing problems.

I can agree that the illustrated kickbacks could happen with lighter saws and even with heavier models. Seems to me that is more probable when the operator is not paying attention.