Finishing both sides for expansion
(02-20-2019, 09:11 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Not in my opinion. Here's what Flexnor has to say on the subject...I tend to follow his advice.

I always shot a light coat or two on the underside of table tops and the inside of aprons... but never spent an abundance of time prepping those unseen parts.  I did it more because people 'expect' it than any other reason.
(02-25-2019, 06:06 PM)KC Wrote: I always shot a light coat or two on the underside of table tops and the inside of aprons... but never spent an abundance of time prepping those unseen parts.  I did it more because people 'expect' it than any other reason.

Same here, I'll finish the undersides of exposed tops, but only for the aesthetics.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-20-2019, 09:11 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Not in my opinion. Here's what Flexnor has to say on the subject...I tend to follow his advice.

Flexnor is entitled to his opinion, and he may be right for old tables and deck boards, but his argument doesn't explain why newly made table tops sometimes warp.   We've all seen panels we've made bow or cup if left flat on our bench over night because the top gained or lost moisture more quickly than the bottom.  The same thing happens with a table top only finished on one side.  Many times the structure underneath prevents it from cupping/bowing and the top remains flat.  Sometimes it pulls the screws out and does what it wants.  And sometimes it splits when the screws don't pull out.  

It's not much work to put a couple of coats of finish on the bottom.  

John