Display Cabinet: UPDATE:Starting to Look Like a Cabinet
Very nice work, Philip.  Don't be bashful about being proud of it.  Your shop is very nice and well-equipped.  I see you have both the chain drive bench vise as well as the chain drive Moxon vise.  Could I ask a few questions?

Do you like the Moxon and do you leave it on the bench all of the time?  
Is it a must-have or would the front vise only have been sufficient?
Would independent screws on a Moxon be of value?
Any other recommendations about vises in general?

Mike
Just posting some encouragement, I think it looks terrific and look forward to further progress.
Thanks Mike! Just trying to encourage others broaden their skill set, using the logic that if I can do it, anyone should be able to do it.

Here is link to recent thread on the moxon vise:

Moxon Vise Thread

Is it absolutely necessary: no. My front vise has a 12" capacity, while the LN DT vise has an 18" capacity, which can be used for
larger case sides that are going to be dovetailed.  If you are not planning this scale of work, then the only advantage over the smaller vise is height.  You can raise the board to the same height in either vise, but in the front vise, the distance from the top edge of the board to the top of the vise will be about 4" greater.  If you are working on nominal 3/4" thick boards, as your sawing action gets further away from the top of the vise, you are more likely to encounter vibration, as the board deflects back and forth from the forces of the saw. I encountered that when cutting the DTs on this case. It forces you to be extra careful in your sawing technique.  You could back up your work with an additional board and clamps to stiffen the work to overcome this.  

I plane on having the Moxon on my bench only when needed for dovetails.  I will be putting up some storage brackets at some point to store it when not in use.

The only other comment I would have on vises is that the LN end vise is excellent, and I highly recommend it if you are planning a bench build.

(03-07-2019, 03:14 PM)Mike Brady Wrote: Very nice work, Philip.  Don't be bashful about being proud of it.  Your shop is very nice and well-equipped.  I see you have both the chain drive bench vise as well as the chain drive Moxon vise.  Could I ask a few questions?

Do you like the Moxon and do you leave it on the bench all of the time?  
Is it a must-have or would the front vise only have been sufficient?
Would independent screws on a Moxon be of value?
Any other recommendations about vises in general?

Mike
Dang son; that’s some handsaw til!!!

Cool
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(03-08-2019, 08:31 AM)Philip1231 Wrote: Thanks Mike! Just trying to encourage others broaden their skill set, using the logic that if I can do it, anyone should be able to do it.

Here is link to recent thread on the moxon vise:

Moxon Vise Thread

Is it absolutely necessary: no. My front vise has a 12" capacity, while the LN DT vise has an 18" capacity, which can be used for
larger case sides that are going to be dovetailed.  If you are not planning this scale of work, then the only advantage over the smaller vise is height.  You can raise the board to the same height in either vise, but in the front vise, the distance from the top edge of the board to the top of the vise will be about 4" greater.  If you are working on nominal 3/4" thick boards, as your sawing action gets further away from the top of the vise, you are more likely to encounter vibration, as the board deflects back and forth from the forces of the saw. I encountered that when cutting the DTs on this case. It forces you to be extra careful in your sawing technique.  You could back up your work with an additional board and clamps to stiffen the work to overcome this.  

I plane on having the Moxon on my bench only when needed for dovetails.  I will be putting up some storage brackets at some point to store it when not in use.

The only other comment I would have on vises is that the LN end vise is excellent, and I highly recommend it if you are planning a bench build.
Understood.  Thanks for the response and showing us your work.  It was very helpful.
Thanks: much appreciated. Full story on the display cabinet can be found

Here

(03-09-2019, 09:11 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: Dang son; that’s some handsaw til!!!

Cool