Display Cabinet: UPDATE:Starting to Look Like a Cabinet
I wanted to thank everyone for the kind words: the road to dovetails was a tough row to hoe, at least for me. I will be providing updates: stay tuned!
I thought I'd post an update on progress with the cabinet.  Although I was pretty pleased with the DTs first time around, I made a mistake (
Upset ), and a particularly bone-headed one at that. For some reason I decided on the first trial to have the pin board as the top of the cabinet, which displayed the ends of the tails (in all their glory).  It became apparent (after a while) that this was in fact backwards!.  Below is pic of redone DTs showing tail board on top.  There were also other technical problems with overall design, which prompted me to just do it over.  I have included a picture of my custom made dovetailing platform: if I  ever build another cabinet of the same height,, I might get to use it again!

Maybe some day I will learn how to rotate pics to they are in right orientation.
It’s gonna be a gorgeous black cherry cabinet.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Great work Philip! That is one nice Bench!
Formerly known as John's Woodshop
That's good work for a novice dovetailer. You'll be an expert in no time.

A bit of advice moving forward:

You don't need that many dovetails to hold things together. Looks nice, but it's a lot of extra work for a marginal increase in joint strength. I think you could have done with half as many dovetails.

Also, both ends of your tail board should be pins. You've got a tail on one end and a pin from the side board on the other end. Laying out the pins and tails prior to cutting will help. Youtube has many examples of how to do this without even needing to measure. (You use dividers.)
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(02-28-2019, 10:52 AM)AHill Wrote: That's good work for a novice dovetailer.  You'll be an expert in no time.  

A bit of advice moving forward:

You don't need that many dovetails to hold things together.  Looks nice, but it's a lot of extra work for a marginal increase in joint strength.  I think you could have done with half as many dovetails.

Agree: they are for aesthetic effect, as the tails on top will remain on display on the finished cabinet (the end of the tail board will be covered with molding).

Also, both ends of your tail board should be pins.  You've got a tail on one end and a pin from the side board on the other end.  Laying out the pins and tails prior to cutting will help.  Youtube has many examples of how to do this without even needing to measure.  (You use dividers.)

Good catch:  the top of the cabinet will actually overhand the sides by approx. 3/4", I just have not ripped the sides down yet.  Yes, used the divider approach and like it.
I hope: its a copy of a Christian Becksvoort design.

(02-26-2019, 06:12 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: It’s gonna be a gorgeous black cherry cabinet.
My son was in the shop with me yesterday and we were speculating who would be using the bench 100 years from now!

(02-28-2019, 08:06 AM)Belle City Woodworking Wrote: Great work Philip!   That is one nice Bench!
My first tapered sliding dovetail on the display cabinet: pretty good fit.  

Its starting to look like a cabinet: