Cabinets in garage
I will be putting the removed kitchen cabinets into the unheated garage. It seems like a bad idea to put the base cabs on the concrete floor. What makes a good isolation barrier?
Saratoga, NY
I guess it's a bad idea, though I did it and had no problems. But if you want to separate the bottom from the floor, I'd just put some self stick asphalt type window flashing tape on the bottom edges. Something like this, though there are all kinds of this stuff available....any of it would work.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Are the ends exposed? I put a set of IKEA cabinets direct on the concrete in my shop and they’ve been fine for 4 years. I have no water leakage but it’s been fine with just regular concrete issues. They’re just particle board but all edges are banded/sealed.
-Marc

(02-21-2019, 08:44 AM)RJT123 Wrote: I will be putting the removed kitchen cabinets into the unheated garage. It seems like a bad idea to put the base cabs on the concrete floor. What makes a good isolation barrier?

I would nail / glue a 3/4 X 1 1/2 strip of pressure treated lumber to all the bottom edges.
If the old cabinets are not the height you want for a work surface build a base frame out of pressure treated lumber.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I used PT 2X4s to make a base for the cabinets I installed in my garage.  Some garage floors are sloped from the back toward the garage door to provide drainage; the 2X4 base will allow you to level the base cabinets, particularly if you're installing along a side wall of a garage with a sloping floor.
Got a bundle of leftover shingles you'd like to get rid of?
Smile
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

If you live in a semi-rural area (I do) then add deadbolts.  Racoons get into everything.

Rubber feet would be enough clearance for me.  It will keep it off any rain water that gets in (or in my case, condensation).  And it allows the wood to breath underneath.

Fast and easy to install. Cheap enough too.  $10.00 for 20 feet; or about $2.00 per cabinet.  And about 5 minutes per cabinet.  And a pretty tidy appearance.

https://www.amazon.com/20-Small-Round-Ru...feet&psc=1
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(02-21-2019, 08:44 AM)RJT123 Wrote: I will be putting the removed kitchen cabinets into the unheated garage. It seems like a bad idea to put the base cabs on the concrete floor. What makes a good isolation barrier?

Not sure if it helps but I took our old kitchen cabinets and put them directly on concrete in our garage. I sprayed them gray first but other than that, they sit on the floor. I live in Florida so we do not have the seasonal temperature changes that you do.
Built my shop cabinets with plywood in 1978, moved them in 1999, and have no problems so far.  Yep, Texas is not New York, so not much help I guess.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood