Water heater and softener?
We have town water. It comes from 3 wells located in our twp. Our builders grade water heater lasted 16 yrs. in Jan 2009 we replaced it with a higher tier BW. Nat. gas. Plumber did the install. The cold & hot lines entering the top of tank are corroded and there is minor water seepage. About 5 yrs ago the town did have a water plant upgrade. Since then wife complains about spots on dishes in dishwasher. Now I’m wondering I’d I should invest in a softener thinking it would extend the life of the heater....but then again for the cost of a softener....maybe I should just save that for the third water heater. Anyone have both. Any other thoughts. Thanks
my thoughts are to have the water tested before purchasing a water softener.
First thought is the anode rod in the WH.  Might be late for a replacement for that now; you are 10 years down the road on that WH, after all.

I second the water test suggestion.  Ours cost less than $75 for a full workup.  The only that didn't get checked was radon levels in the water.

There was a thread here in which one of the participants suggested the test.  I think it was Snipehunter who convinced me to get that test.  Now I know what's in the water, and I'm procrastinating again on getting anything to treat the water, but there's no real rush since I know the water's in pretty good shape.

Get a test, then decide.
(02-22-2019, 06:28 PM)tomsteve Wrote: my thoughts are to have the water tested before purchasing a water softener.

+1

Buying water treatment before testing the water is like dropping aspirin in the gas tank because the check engine light came on.

It could be a gazillion different problems... Including lack of periodic water heater maintenance... ie draining out sludge in the water heater.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

We have to have softeners here, I've lived with them for the last 30 years...adn i wish i didn't have too. I'd only put one in if needed; that';s a way of saying get the water tested.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I’ll check on testing. The water authority deos send everyone an annual report so it’d be a good to compare. Our water is by no means bad. Just seems like more mineral issues. Spots and white stains when droplets dry on the sink.... and the water heater of course
A water softener does not remove anything from the water. It converts some objectionable minerals to a slightly less objectionable mineral. Spots may or may not be eliminated. Get it tested, no other way to to determine a solution.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Spots on the dishes? Are you out of rinse aid?
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.