Washing Machine repair or replace?
My advise not specific to whirlpools, but I'd say it depends on what you've got and what you want to get. I was in a similar situation with an LG front load, a ~$200 part failed (heater maybe?) about 6 months after I had replaced the drain pump (~$50 part). It was about the same age as yours. I junked it and bought a new top load. You can easily spend almost a grand on a new top of the line, so $250 doesn't sound so bad, but you can also buy a mid-level for ~$400. I never really liked the LG, so it was an easy decision for me to buy a new one. I think 10 years is about the time the front loaders start to crap out, while the old agitators can easily go for longer than that (my experience having my house plus a couple of rentals). FWIW, the new top load (non-agitator) model is better than the front load, but not by much.

So... all that to say I'd go shopping for a new one and if you see one you like for <$600 I'd buy the new one, otherwise I'd throw $250 at the old one and hope to get 2-3 more good years out of her.
(02-23-2019, 12:51 PM)ajkoontz Wrote: I think 10 years is about the time the front loaders start to crap out, while the old agitators can easily go for longer than that (my experience having my house plus a couple of rentals). FWIW, the new top load (non-agitator) model is better than the front load, but not by much.
Interesting you say that. I have a client who buys vacation rental properties. Nothing fancy, mostly townhouses. He got tired of failing electronics in the appliances. Now he puts Speed Queen washers and driers in and has never had an issue with them. They aren't pretty or as energy efficient as some others but they work and last forever. Their cheapest line comes standard with a 3 year warranty. My client has about 10 properties and Speed Queen in all of them.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(02-23-2019, 08:47 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Interesting you say that. I have a client who buys vacation rental properties. Nothing fancy, mostly townhouses. He got tired of failing electronics in the appliances. Now he puts Speed Queen washers and driers in and has never had an issue with them. They aren't pretty or as energy efficient as some others but they work and last forever. Their cheapest line comes standard with a 3 year warranty. My client has about 10 properties and Speed Queen in all of them.

There's a lot to be said about doing it right the first time.  I tend to buy high end appliances but look for the very best deal.  I have a house with a stove that isn't quite perfect but came with the house.  I replaced the kitchen, carpets and a good portion of the rest of the house but kept the stove as it looked almost new.  She heard we replaced stoves in other places and asked if she was in line next a few years ago.  There was never really something wrong with it but I came across a Viking Stainless unit a couple years old that I am going to surprise her with when I get the time.  Viking is pretty solid without any bells or whistles
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(02-23-2019, 08:47 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Now he puts Speed Queen washers and driers in and has never had an issue with them. They aren't pretty or as energy efficient as some others but they work and last forever. Their cheapest line comes standard with a 3 year warranty. My client has about 10 properties and Speed Queen in all of them.
I remember 50 years ago when I used laundromats they were almost always  equipped with Speed Queen appliances. Wish they were a little easier to find. It's a brand I'm aware of and keep forgetting.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
It's my understanding that the newest models of SpeedQueens have taken a step backwards.  I hate my washing machine and am waiting for it to go T.U. and was planning on a SQ....however after much research I'm likely to be swayed over to the commercial Maytags instead.
I'm trying to connect to get parts from a doner washer. If that don't work then will buy new. I'm not gonna put money in this old one.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
(02-22-2019, 08:38 PM)Foggy Wrote: Eight and a half year old washing machine quit. I found a technician's manual inside of the top. Wonderful, I can check the machine out myself. Now the bad news. It's brains are dead. So.....Do I spend $225 for new brains or junk it and buy a new one? What is the expected life of a Whirlpool?
My GE washing machine failed after 7 years and I called in a GE repairman.  He said it did not pay to repair it.  I mentioned that my parent's washing machine lasted over 25 years and he said, the average life span for a washing machine was 6 to 7 years.  

Apparently it is now a consumable item.

I would not repair it.  It is not one component that is worn out, it is the whole machine that is worn out and one component has now failed.  It is a sad commentary on manufacturing nowadays.  Cell phones are designed to last 3 years; washing machines for 6 or 7 years; but cars are lasting longer (and costing way more).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I have a Whirlpool Duet that began failing after about 8 years.  After replacing the door switch with no results, the repair shop wanted $300 to replace the control board.  I took it apart and removed the control board from its housing and examined it.  The relays on the board (about 6 of them) had solder joints that had microfractures in them, likely due to the intense vibration of the machine during the spin cycle.  I took a soldering iron and reflowed all the solder joints on each relay, adding a bit more solder where I thought it was necessary.  After reinstalling, the washer worked perfectly and has worked for the last 7 years with no issues.