fixing an s trap
I thought I posted a thread about this, but I didn't find it.  The vanity project is coming to an ignoble end when the granite guys show up on monday.  The sink always had an s-trap because the wall behind the vanity isn't thick enough for a vent pipe.  The compression fitting for the s trap is at the floor level, and it's right below the sink drain.  I'm thinking about going from there up with a pipe, slanted over to the back corner of the vanity.  Then put in a Studor air admittance valve.

I'm not sure we ever really had a venting problem, but this seems like it would be better than nothing.  Any thoughts?
Studor air admittance valve.

I put one of those under our vanity when we finished the bedroom bath.
That is the *only* vent on the whole system. Shower...stool....vanity. It handles all of them and nary a drain noise.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

that's impressive.  There was a Studor valve in one of my mom's bathrooms, but it couldn't cope with the dishwasher she had put in and it used to back up into the bathtub.  Never quite figured out what was wrong, but putting in another Studor valve closer to the bathtub fixed it.

I suppose the bathtub might not have been properly vented and the dishwasher emptied the bathtub p-trap
(02-23-2019, 02:54 PM)EricU Wrote: I thought I posted a thread about this, but I didn't find it.  The vanity project is coming to an ignoble end when the granite guys show up on monday.  The sink always had an s-trap because the wall behind the vanity isn't thick enough for a vent pipe.  The compression fitting for the s trap is at the floor level, and it's right below the sink drain.  I'm thinking about going from there up with a pipe, slanted over to the back corner of the vanity.  Then put in a Studor air admittance valve.

I'm not sure we ever really had a venting problem, but this seems like it would be better than nothing.  Any thoughts?

Any possibility you can turn the S trap into a P trap? S traps can easily siphon themselves dry making it open air to the sewer. 

I also use the Studar valves with no issues. Sure helps when renovating, particularly when bathrooms or kitchens are moved and can't easily share an existing vent stack.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(02-23-2019, 08:57 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Any possibility you can turn the S trap into a P trap? S traps can easily siphon themselves dry making it open air to the sewer. 

I also use the Studar valves with no issues. Sure helps when renovating, particularly when bathrooms or kitchens are moved and can't easily share an existing vent stack.

Not code everywhere so check codes.  I had to run what they call an island vent for my kitchen sink, had to hire it out as I had no experience with them.  Price was right for the work and tutorial, haven't hired one out since.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(02-23-2019, 08:57 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Any possibility you can turn the S trap into a P trap? S traps can easily siphon themselves dry making it open air to the sewer. 
that's the point of this thread.  Unless I don't quite understand your point.

Our code enforcement is usually pretty lenient, but I'm not asking in this case.  I see a lot of electrical stuff being sold in the BORGS that isn't code compliant everywhere, but contractors seem to be buying it by the caseload.
I believe Snipe understood you to be saying that you would leave the S trap in place and simply take a vent up the back corner. On first read, I thought the same. If you are replacing from the floor up with a P trap and AAV, go for it. That would be the closest to "right".
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(02-24-2019, 08:36 PM)blackhat Wrote: I believe Snipe understood you to be saying that you would leave the S trap in place and simply take a vent up the back corner. On first read, I thought the same. If you are replacing from the floor up with a P trap and AAV, go for it. That would be the closest to "right".

Exactly
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

okay, thanks, I was afraid I was missing something.  I think I lost the s trap pipes anyway, so doing it right makes the most sense.  Hoping to have water running again tomorrow.