Foot Warmer pad in shop
This winter has been bitter cold.
My shop is in basement, which stays cold and last few weeks it is very cold.
I do not have a space heater and not interested in getting one.

My challenge is that my feet get very cold in few minutes when I am in basement and then makes it difficult to continue.
I am thinking about using a foot warmer pad or mat in the shop.
I found this one, which I can get through Home Depot or Amazon.

Warmer pad

Has any one uses a warmer pad in workshop ? any feedback?

PS:  I have Wood Laminate floor installed in the shop.
When I had my picture frame shop the shop floor was concrete and my feet and back suffered and my feet were cold too.

I bought "horse stall mats" made from rubber.  These are much harder than the rubber floor mats you see, and can stand up to the abuse of the shop.  They are 3/4" thick and provide significant insulation too.  

I think I would start by trying the horse stall mats.  You can get them from Tractor Supply.  I got mine from Great Mats:  https://www.greatmats.com/horse-stall-mats.php

Don't buy the Amazon stuff.  Way too expensive (3rd party seller).  

You can always add the heater later.  This will do wonders for your back, knees and feet and probably will keep you warm enough.

I have a pair of Sorel boots for 48 or 50 years now.  Still in good shape.  Replacement liners are available (felt).  I never used them indoors as I think my feet would get uncomfortably hot.  They are rated to -100 degrees F.  Mine were made in Canada.  They only state that they are "imported" now.  So it could be from Canada or from China.  But really warm and very durable.  Note:  I only use them when it snows, so that is probably no more than 300 wearings over that 50 year period.

https://www.sorel.com/mens-intrepid-expl...6&start=20

[Image: 1573881_010_f2?wid=767&hei=767&fmt=jpeg&...iccEmbed=0]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(02-25-2019, 12:03 PM)Cooler Wrote: When I had my picture frame shop the shop floor was concrete and my feet and back suffered and my feet were cold too.

I bought "horse stall mats" made from rubber.  These are much harder than the rubber floor mats you see, and can stand up to the abuse of the shop.  They are 3/4" thick and provide significant insulation too.  

I think I would start by trying the horse stall mats.  You can get them from Tractor Supply.  I got mine from Great Mats:  https://www.greatmats.com/horse-stall-mats.php

Don't buy the Amazon stuff.  Way too expensive (3rd party seller).  

You can always add the heater later.  This will do wonders for your back, knees and feet and probably will keep you warm enough.

I have a pair of Sorel boots for 48 or 50 years now.  Still in good shape.  Replacement liners are available (felt).  I never used them indoors as I think my feet would get uncomfortably hot.  They are rated to -100 degrees F.  Mine were made in Canada.  They only state that they are "imported" now.  So it could be from Canada or from China.  But really warm and very durable.  Note:  I only use them when it snows, so that is probably no more than 300 wearings over that 50 year period.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I forgot to mention that I already have Laminated wood floor installed in the shop. It is installed on concrete. But it still stays cold in the winter.
Even with the laminate, maybe try one of the rubber floor pads first. Maybe one of these cheapies from HF...they do really seem to insulate a little. If that doesn't pay out move to the next step; whether that be a horse stall mat or the warmer. However, I have no doubt that warmer would work.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(02-25-2019, 01:03 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Even with the laminate, maybe try one of the rubber floor pads first. Maybe one of these cheapies from HF...they do really seem to insulate a little. If that doesn't pay out move to the next step; whether that be a horse stall mat or the warmer. However, I have no doubt that warmer would work.
I tried the cheap mats first.  They compress too much and they didn't last very long.  The horse stall mats are made to deal with horses (I carry some extra weight but I am probably still lighter than the average horse), so I found that it held up very well.  I did not put machinery on it; I used it for the positions where I worked.  

If just keeping warm is your goal, then the Sorels are exceptional boots.  

My liners are probably worn, but since they are designed for extreme cold, they are good for the low teen and zero degree weather I subject it to.  The replacement liners simply  slide into the boot.

[Image: NM8001_070_f?wid=767&hei=767&fmt=jpeg&ql...iccEmbed=0]
Thanks for the suggestions.

I do not have Sorel boots, but do have very warm hunting boots.
I will find those and start using them and see how much difference it will make.
(02-25-2019, 10:58 PM)Jack01 Wrote: Thanks for the suggestions.

I do not have Sorel boots, but do have very warm hunting boots.
I will find those and start using them and see how much difference it will make.

If they are good boots they will offer more ankle support and arch support and can possibly reduce back strain.  It is certainly the most cost effective solution ($0.00 cost as you already have the boots).

Sorels are great in the snow (which is pretty much all I use them for) when clearing my driveway.  But forget about trying to drive with them.  You will hit the gas and brake pedal at the same time.  (Or the brake and clutch pedals).

So, very good boots, but with limited applications.
(02-25-2019, 11:26 AM)Jack01 Wrote: This winter has been bitter cold.
My shop is in basement, which stays cold and last few weeks it is very cold.
I do not have a space heater and not interested in getting one.

My challenge is that my feet get very cold in few minutes when I am in basement and then makes it difficult to continue.
I am thinking about using a foot warmer pad or mat in the shop.
I found this one, which I can get through Home Depot or Amazon.

Warmer pad

Has any one uses a warmer pad in workshop ? any feedback?

PS:  I have Wood Laminate floor installed in the shop.

Jack , I worked outside in miserable weather for many years. Buy a pair of galoshes, the short rubber boots. Put them on your shoes and your feet will not get cold unless you are sitting all the time. The galoshes keep the cold and dampness from coming thru your shoes. Your feet will not get cold.

mike
Heated socks?.. never tried them but that’s the first thing came to mind
Wood working is no time to get cold feet- just jump in there and get'er done.  
Laugh

They have very good heated soles, socks, covers and liners.

Looks like you could even set the old feet on fire;

[Image: 71JdihqpH3L._AC_UL480_QL65_.jpg]

https://www.amazon.com/heated-boots/s?k=heated+boots