Miller Falls
(02-26-2019, 07:02 AM)Tony Z Wrote: I'm wondering why Miller Falls tools don't get the love that Stanley do. Many are the equal and quite a few are superior.  Many of the planes have full bedding similar to early type Baileys, and I find the articulated lever cap superior to Stanley and most are similar planes.  I have a smoother, with a Hock blade (yes, with cryo A2), that is equal to any modern plane and superior to most.

Comments/opinions?

Millers Falls did not get into the handplane manufacturing business until 1929.

Some here may know what happened in that year (and for some time to follow).

Stanley effectively had a 60 year head start.
(02-27-2019, 01:10 AM)Joe Bailey Wrote: Millers Falls did not get into the handplane manufacturing business until 1929.

Some here may know what happened in that year (and for some time to follow).

Stanley effectively had a 60 year head start.

So with the late start, MF was able to use the best features of Stanley!

Anyhow, I have a number of MF Buck Rogers tools, and the planes are a very innovative design, with the frog & tote one piece moveable, much as what LV used in the original line of bench planes. MF frogs are aluminum, and the tote is comfortable. But what I like best of all, is the articulated lever cap.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
MF got me started with planes. Found one going through grandpa's basement stuff. Nobody else wanted it.

I brought it home, cleaned it up and found an article on tuning it. The rest is history. It's still my only MF bench plane, although I have other MF hand tools.
(03-04-2019, 08:22 AM)camp10 Wrote: MF got me started with planes. Found one going through grandpa's basement stuff.  Nobody else wanted it.

I brought it home, cleaned it up and found an article on tuning it.  The rest is history.  It's still my only MF bench plane, although I have other MF hand tools.

This.....

Found a #5 size Craftsman that was by Miller Falls at a garage sale that was in good shape... and it worked great, never did a thing to it except to hone the blade from time to time. Then found a Craftsman #4.5 and a #7 and they both worked great too... the only Stanley I have left is a #4 that I got from my FIL after he passed, and was the tool that got me started in handtools all those years ago. I've flattened the bottom on my belt sander, but never have used it yet...
Love my Miller Falls planes....
Skip

As a poor apprentice carpenter trying to put together a tool set, the Miller Falls braces were less expensive than the Stanley, we still used brace and bits in construction,  so I bought a Miller Falls. Now hand tools are cheap at the flesmarket , certainly the no-name Miller Falls.
A man of foolish pursuits