Shop lighting question
Helping a friend set up a shop. Was thinking about these 

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/10pk-shopl...arter-hq_1

Shop is 50 x 25. So 1000 sq ft.  No windows. One garage door.

Do you think these will give him plenty of good light. It’s a 10 pack. So 10 of them. Walls will be painted bright white.  

Or what do you recommend

Thanks
I bought 4 of those lights with in a year 2 failed started flashing
Costs more in shipping than I paid so no waranty
The 2 that are still working are very bright and seem fine
I would not buy them again just because of the failure rate
(02-27-2019, 10:31 AM)oakey Wrote: I bought   4 of those lights with in a year 2 failed started flashing
Costs more in shipping than I paid so no waranty  
The 2 that are still working are very bright and seem fine
I would not buy them again just because of the failure rate

Thanks. Good to know
Those look pretty similar to the ones that Costco has been
selling for half that much.

Got twelve of them last year (from Costco). Eight of them
went into my 20 x 20 wood shop. So far, flawless.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(02-27-2019, 09:24 AM)Wipedout Wrote: Or what do you recommend

Thanks

From the pics is appears there's no cover over the LEDs.  I bought a few like that when I began converting my shop and the individual LEDs are just too intense for me.  It's like hundreds of miniature spotlights just waiting to blind you each time you glance around the shop.  Maybe it would be different if my ceiling was higher than seven and a half feet.

I only buy the fixtures (or individual bulbs) with frosted diffusers now.

Mike
I bought the ones Mark referred to from Costco. Very similar, except labeled as the Feit brand. My shop had just been built and is 32x50 with 10' ceilings.  I bought 22 units and the shop is quite bright, plus none of the fixtures have failed yet. I wanted to have no diffusers, since I see them as diminishing the perceived light slightly At age 71, I find my eyes aren't quite as sharp as they used to be, but still for most things I can see very well. I may add a few more units in one or two spots. these things are a dream to install versus hard wired flourescents. I put outlets in the ceiling on their own circuit for the  lights. The lights didn't go up until the DC ductwork was in and the tools more or less positioned. Then I knew where I wanted the lamps. Because they are so light I simply put 2 screws in each into the trusses to hold them in place. I drilled holes into the pan of the light (these are zero clearance to the ceiling) wherever I needed them. Lastly, the power consumption of them is so low I put all the lights on one circuit and switch, compared to the 2 circuits and 4 switches I used in my 2 last shops. If one of these lights fail, I'll just replace it...easy peasy. That said, I doubt 10 fixtures will be enough for your freind's shop....I would put it at about 20 based on my experience. But he could always start with 10 and add on later.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I would do nearly anything to avoid "Made in China", so if the position of these fixtures falls within your reference of "nearly" and they are Chinese, I would pause to reconsider source of manufacture. In the same breath, if those are Chinese, $30 per fixture is still outrageous.

My walls and ceiling are bright white. I don't recommend a shiny paint finish, simply due to the intensity of the white light LEDs produce.
(02-27-2019, 12:23 PM)hbmcc Wrote: I would do nearly anything to avoid "Made in China", so if the position of these fixtures falls within your reference of "nearly" and they are Chinese, I would pause to reconsider source of manufacture. In the same breath, if those are Chinese, $30 per fixture is still outrageous.

My walls and ceiling are bright white. I don't recommend a shiny paint finish, simply due to the intensity of the white light LEDs produce.

Somebody actually makes LED lighting in the USA? do tell please
(02-27-2019, 12:23 PM)hbmcc Wrote: I would do nearly anything to avoid "Made in China",

Very hard to find not-Made in China LED products at Costco!!! Or Amazon....

Simon
(02-27-2019, 11:23 AM)fredhargis Wrote: I bought the ones Mark referred to from Costco. Very similar, except labeled as the Feit brand. My shop had just been built and is 32x50 with 10' ceilings.  I bought 22 units and the shop is quite bright, plus none of the fixtures have failed yet. I wanted to have no diffusers, since I see them as diminishing the perceived light slightly At age 71, I find my eyes aren't quite as sharp as they used to be, but still for most things I can see very well. I may add a few more units in one or two spots. these things are a dream to install versus hard wired flourescents. I put outlets in the ceiling on their own circuit for the  lights. The lights didn't go up until the DC ductwork was in and the tools more or less positioned. Then I knew where I wanted the lamps. Because they are so light I simply put 2 screws in each into the trusses to hold them in place. I drilled holes into the pan of the light (these are zero clearance to the ceiling) wherever I needed them. Lastly, the power consumption of them is so low I put all the lights on one circuit and switch, compared to the 2 circuits and 4 switches I used in my 2 last shops. If one of these lights fail, I'll just replace it...easy peasy. That said, I doubt 10 fixtures will be enough for your freind's shop....I would put it at about 20 based on my experience. But he could always start with 10 and add on later.

The FEIT LED fixtures I got from costco look like fluorescents, so there is a diffuser of sorts.  I like these pretty well.
(the honeywell fixtures in the original post here are the bare LEDs on a strip, which can be quite intense if you look directly at them)

Matt