Drill press depth stop
I've been wanting to upgrade the depth stop on my grizzly drill press form years now but just haven't got around to it, now is the time.

The original is finicky with the slim double nut type and the 'L' bracket is flimsy 

What I was going to do is install a beefier 'L' bracket and buy one of these Grizzly Quick Release Stop 

Before I do I figured Id check here to see what others have done to improve their drill press depth adjustments.

If it makes a difference it's a GO 7944 floor model drill press
Bruce.
It's ten dollars for me to ship it, I think it will wait in my cart a while. Is this a new model, I remember something else in the past, maybe double the cost?
Over 20 bucks for a 6 dollar nut. Hmmm.

Make one from hard wood and tap a hole for a wing nut.

Make one from a nut one size bigger and tap a hole for a wing nut.

Buy a 2 dollar stop collar and replace the allen screw with a wing nut.

Or; https://www.amazon.com/Century-Drill-Too...4-fkmrnull

The choices you probably have in your shop are as endless as your imagination. I won't pay as much for shipping as the item I'm buying- Stop collar sets can be bought in packs of 8 for 4 bucks on Amazon and free shipping.
(02-27-2019, 01:54 PM)stillgotten Wrote: I've been wanting to upgrade the depth stop on my grizzly drill press form years now but just haven't got around to it, now is the time.

The original is finicky with the slim double nut type and the 'L' bracket is flimsy 

What I was going to do is install a beefier 'L' bracket and buy one of these Grizzly Quick Release Stop 

Before I do I figured Id check here to see what others have done to improve their drill press depth adjustments.

If it makes a difference it's a GO 7944 floor model drill press

I have one very similar that came on my new Delta 17-965 drill press many years ago (in fact, it's one of the reasons I chose it over Jet and Grizzly at the time). I find it very handy and use it all the time. Used it yesterday several times on a project where I was drilling to a specific depth. It's one of those things that after you've used it, you do not want to be without it, IMO.

Doug
Woodsmith has plans for this:

https://www.woodsmithplans.com/plan/dril...epth-stop/

I use the revolving one attached to the feed, the one everyone seems to hate because it is difficult to adjust.

I just advance the bit to where I'd like it to stop, then spin the depth stop and turn the locking thumbscrew, works great.
(03-01-2019, 01:19 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Woodsmith has plans for this:

https://www.woodsmithplans.com/plan/dril...epth-stop/

I use the revolving one attached to the feed, the one everyone seems to hate because it is difficult to adjust.

I just advance the bit to where I'd like it to stop, then spin the depth stop and turn the locking thumbscrew, works great.

I have the same one and prefer it. Much faster and accurate.

The only thing I had to do is mark the side of the press with a sharpie- an arrow, and; "To set depth", because I would forget which way to spin the thingy before locking it in.