Veneer
After edge-joining plywood at an angle I need to round off the sharp corner and  then cover the entire piece in veneer. I don't know if it would add any kind of support, but the important thing is to make it seamless from the outside before I cover it again with an overlay on which art will be printed.

The problem is in finding veneer. Lowes and Home Depot do not sell it and no one at those places seems to know what it is.

I'd appreciate any ideas on where to get veneer and what type to use. 

I'm not sure how to determine what the radius of the finished piece will be, but the veneer must be flexible enough to install around an 80° bend. (The attached pic will give a basic idea of what I want to do).

Thanks.

Darren Harris

Staten Island, New York.

Take a look at this or this.

John
joewoodworker.com

jerry
I swear by Certainly Wood.
They're close to Buffalo NY, ship very quickly and cheaply, and have an enormous supply in a variety of thicknesses.
If you're concerned about flexibility, use a good veneer softener first (easy to follow directions) and you'll be able to roll it like a cigar without cracking.
(02-27-2019, 04:58 PM)D_Harris Wrote: After edge-joining plywood at an angle I need to round off the sharp corner and  then cover the entire piece in veneer. I don't know if it would add any kind of support, but the important thing is to make it seamless from the outside before I cover it again with an overlay on which art will be printed.

The problem is in finding veneer. Lowes and Home Depot do not sell it and no one at those places seems to know what it is.

I'd appreciate any ideas on where to get veneer and what type to use. 

I'm not sure how to determine what the radius of the finished piece will be, but the veneer must be flexible enough to install around an 80° bend. (The attached pic will give a basic idea of what I want to do).

Thanks.

Darren Harris

Staten Island, New York.

There are a number of reasonably priced sellers on the 'Bay...
(02-28-2019, 09:16 AM)brianwelch Wrote: There are a number of reasonably priced sellers on the 'Bay...

But what would be considered the ideal thickness for my application?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
Ok.

Would laminate be a better choice? And if so, does it come in thin enough sheets for my purposes?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.
(03-01-2019, 04:34 PM)D_Harris Wrote: But what would be considered the ideal thickness for my application?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

I've had pretty good luck with veneers in the 1/42" range. And with paper back veneers that have less than that thickness of wood but with the paper backing, work out to just about 1/40" thick.  And in the case of the paper back veneers I've found they bend more readily than "raw" veneer due to the support given by the paper.

Few species available, thinner, possibility of weird finish take-up and an extra layer of glue to fail are the downsides to the paper backed stuff. Upsides are larger sheets, rolls up for easy shipping, can take reasonably tight bends well, often less expensive.  And you can sometimes find sheets of red oak, birch and maple at Home Depot and Menards.  Not huge sheets and certainly marked up but worked well when I needed to repair a friend's red-oak faced plywood bookshelf.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin