Tool for hand brace?
The center is just like a "dead center" for a lathe. Light pressure will get it to retract into the cylinder. I loosened a couple screws (one still soaking in Liquid wrench) One edge of the slot in the cylinder is ground to a little edge.

I will try to investigate tomorrow. I don't think it's been used much if any, not signs of saw dust. I will try it on a dowel. I might be for making a tapered hole?

Thanks for all the efforts.
(02-28-2019, 08:55 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Found this in with a bunch of garage sale auger bits.  Have no idea what it is for, or even if it is for woodworking.  I thought since it fits into a "brace" that it would indicate woodworking, but I also know there are some things that are garage related.  The  portion above the spring section appears to be brass.   No writing to give a hint.  The tip is spring loaded, have no idea why.  What is your thoughts?  Appreciate all comments.

Thanks

If it is spring loaded, I would say it could be a tap follower..used in a DP or lathe to follow the tap and keep it centered while threading...some tools were made for an outdated, specific operation and we may never know exactly what it was designed to do.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

The center of the cylinder is 1", I tried a couple dowels both 1" and larger. It doesn't come close to cutting on either.

Not sure how the square shank would fit into a late, or drill press to be used as a "tap follower", but if I knew the answers I wouldn't have posted it here. I did look up tap follower, and it kind of made sense, but I wasn't able to find something of this age.
Maybe try as a counter-bore....after a pilot hole had been drilled, and they wanted to cover the screw with a plug?   The spring feature is to help extract the bit, once you get to the depth you want....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Once the spring loaded center is retracted, there is very little room for a piece to be counter bored to enter the tool. I would post more pictures, but not a techy, have to have my Wonderful Wife post them for me and I don't want to take advantage of her kindness.

It doesn't do anything when pushed into a wooden board.
I cross posted this on another forum, and someone mentioned it may be used for making round tenons?
Another reply says it may be for drilling rock/concrete.
I wish I had it in hand because I'd try...

using it to take a small diameter hole to a larger hole, but not too deep. The cone would keep the cutting centered on the small hole.

I could also see it being used to taper the outside end of a soft metal pipe (lead, copper, etc.). The cone keeps it centered and the lip, if sharpened correctly, tapers the very end of the pipe.
Could it be a deburring tool for countersunk holes in metal?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(03-06-2019, 08:40 AM)Lucky Irish Wrote: Another reply says it may be for drilling rock/concrete.

The same gentleman responded with .....

"My Dad had one. The point digs in and as ya crank it the spring loaded tip is pulled up the guide slot the spring is compressed til it releases and hammers the point. About all I remember; that was about 60 years ago."