Tool for hand brace?
Found this in with a bunch of garage sale auger bits.  Have no idea what it is for, or even if it is for woodworking.  I thought since it fits into a "brace" that it would indicate woodworking, but I also know there are some things that are garage related.  The  portion above the spring section appears to be brass.   No writing to give a hint.  The tip is spring loaded, have no idea why.  What is your thoughts?  Appreciate all comments.

Thanks

If it had sharp lips on the outside part, I'd say it was a plug cutter with a centering point...

But I'd probably be wrong.
Wink
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
My best guess is a plumber's flaring tool.  Old school.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(02-28-2019, 08:55 PM)toolmiser Wrote: Found this in with a bunch of garage sale auger bits.  Have no idea what it is for, or even if it is for woodworking.  I thought since it fits into a "brace" that it would indicate woodworking, but I also know there are some things that are garage related.  The  portion above the spring section appears to be brass.   No writing to give a hint.  The tip is spring loaded, have no idea why.  What is your thoughts?  Appreciate all comments.

Thanks

From the first picture is looks an awful lot like a ball point pen...I think it's spring loaded so the point protrudes enough to write? 
Big Grin
Laugh
Big Grin
Of course if you mean the other thing...clueless. Any markings/name on the chuck end?
If you continue to cut corners, you'll end up going in circles!

It's my thumb so I'll hit it if I want to!
Does the tip retract along the slot? Building on the tube flaring tool suggestion, it could allow the tube to be put on the tip and recede into the slotted head. This would provide support to tube as it is being flared.
Could it be for making a tapered hole for a wedged tenon.  As it went in a predrilled hole it would wedge open and cut the sides in the hole so it was larger at the bottom of the hole.  Roly
I take it there's no cutting edge on the point, or you'd have shown it.  Assuming not, I'm inclined, until someone comes along with a better idea, to wander over and stand with the tubing flaring tool idea.  Where the movable point goes into the tube, is there plenty of clearance?  If so, it might have been for making a double flare (out, then in again).

Nice pen.
It has a raised edge on one side as if to drill and cut. It could possibly be a plug cutter.
(03-01-2019, 08:23 AM)Roly Wrote: Could it be for making a tapered hole for a wedged tenon.  As it went in a predrilled hole it would wedge open and cut the sides in the hole so it was larger at the bottom of the hole.  Roly

^^^^

This is along the lines of what I was thinking or for making dowels
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Put it on a brace spin it, and push down. Tell us what happens!
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy