Favorite honing technique?
(03-01-2019, 02:27 PM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: Do you have a link to that video clip?

I strop all the time but I never put much downward pressure.

At about 5:34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN4yr7vp4I4
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(03-01-2019, 02:31 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: You know I was just thinking about this late last night and I was wondering if anyone has ever used a thick piece of glass with compound to hone with???

Why I thought of this was a hard flat surface would be best and now I do not remember what other things came to mind.  So what does everyone here think about it????

Maybe a 1/2" or 3/4" in the size of 6"x 20" would due??
You know I was just thinking about this late last night and I was wondering if anyone has ever used a thick piece of glass with compound to hone with???

Yes...I bought a 6" diameter glass wheel and mounted it on a slow-speed horizontal grinder shaft and charged it with diamond paste...it worked pretty well as long as you kept the diamond on it...Back in my "olden days" when I was into lapidary, I had several copper discs for lapping...A different grit for every lap..Copper is soft enough for the diamond powder to embed into the surface and it lasts a very long time...With softer materials, diamond can bed down too deeply to be as effective as copper....We used cheap lipstick for the paste and added diamond powder to it...Lapping is how diamonds are faceted....I now used factory charged diamond laps from Amazon on my Worksharp and Veritas MK II...

But for speed and a dangerously sharp edge, I have never been able to find anything better than a leather wheel, charged with diamond.....It is like an endless leather strop...Nothing will put a super edge on steel faster than that..and very few things will remove one faster when not used properly.
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(03-01-2019, 10:04 AM)JSpill Wrote: Almost every time I am about to use a plane or chisel I find myself asking could this blade be sharper? Of course I want to keep working and not spend a lot of time honing. Do you have a favorite method of honing when in the middle of a project? Do you use a leather strop or diamond plate for honing? Just wondering what are some quick and effective methods for honing a proper edge. Thanks.

Good stone(s) freehand.  Freehanding isn't difficult to learn, you just have to let go of the expectation of a perfect LOOKING bevel.  For many years I did very well with Shaptons.

A few years ago, when I switched to wetshaving, I went to jnats.  But shaptons, chosera, etc work great.  My rotation is a 140 gr diamond stone, a 'medium' diamond stone and then a 1k, 5k, 8k waterstone.  Keep them on a bench a step away from your work bench and you'll never mind breaking down a plane to do a quick touch up.
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

(03-01-2019, 09:33 PM)Admiral Wrote: At about 5:34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN4yr7vp4I4

I really appreciate you posting that.  I didn't realize Paul Sellers was on youtube.  Some of my favorite memories woodworking are taking classes from him in Waco.  I got a real charge out of looking behind him and seeing those candle boxes stacked up on the floor.
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished