Walker Turner Bandsaw Dust Collection - Pics now visible!
(03-02-2019, 03:33 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Looks like you did a fantastic job and great dust recovery system!!  Well done

Thank you, Arlin! 

Doug
(03-02-2019, 04:09 PM)Tapper Wrote: Thank you, Arlin! 

Doug

How about a pic or two of the full saw, it looks really good from the detail pics.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Looks like there is room for a 4" port instead of your 2-1/2"? port.
Why reduce when you have a 4" hose there.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-02-2019, 05:19 PM)Admiral Wrote: How about a pic or two of the full saw, it looks really good from the detail pics.
Here you go.......... 

I've had this saw for a few years now and finally decided to finish the restoration and get it running. It has a Century 1 1/2" HP motor which really runs smoothly. The PO had begun the restoration but some of the parts were missing, most notably the belt cover you see in the 2nd photo. Found one over at OWWM (Boyd) but it came without a mounting bracket. No bracket to be found anywhere.

So I decided to see if I could have some cast at a foundry. Another member sent me one off of his saw and I sent it to a foundry and had several made, after several others expressed an interest in getting one also. These castings were just that, raw castings with no machining. Two set screws and the main hole for mounting on the pulley housing had to be machined for it to be mounted. Another member over there agreed to do the machining. So that's how I was able to get the belt housing mounted.

The OP had also mounted new rubber tires on the wheels but had not crowned them. That was quite a task as I had never done this before. Made a copy of a jig I found from another member over at OWWM that held the wheel in place while rotating it against a disc sander. It was touch and go but I did get a nice and consistent result. Quite nerve wracking as this was also a first time thing for me and I was "making it up as I went along."

This saw is pretty much all cast iron and is very heavy (a good thing). I was first drawn to these saws because of the Art Deco look, which I like. It was made in the 1940's in Plainfield, NJ. Runs smoothly with a little vibration at the top of the top wheel which does not affect cut quality. I had to shim the table with washers to get the back of the blade perpendicular to the top of the table. I got lucky as right now it is "dead on" and holds this setting, as I've checked it several times after using the saw.

I'm using sticks of Oregon Black Walnut for guide blocks right now as the saw had none when I got it. Haven't decided if I'll spring for the ~$50 for replacements I see on the net, or not. Cian said he was partial to Lignum Vitae so maybe I'll take a look at that option. 

Mobile base is a heavy duty Grizzly, a nice one I think. Still have a few "tweaks" to make including designing and fabricating a blade guard (rare as hen's teeth!) and figure out a way to mount a Retirement Light I've had for it for some time now. I used the saw in building this DC box and the bracket for it and must say it was a joy! Also used it to cut out that blank you see in the first photo to plug the hole that had to be moved. A little sanding on the edges and it snapped right in with a little glue.

I look forward to using it for curves and smaller jobs in the shop as I have a larger 18" saw I use for heavier work and resawing.

Doug

[Image: 46537695024_335df85200.jpg]

[Image: 40296591693_8329f59b66.jpg]

[Image: 40296589313_d5ca21c289.jpg]
(03-02-2019, 07:03 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Looks like there is room for a 4" port instead of your 2-1/2"? port.
Why reduce when you have a 4" hose there.

Had to do with angle and clearance. Didn't see a 4" angled plastic fitting online anywhere with a shallow enough angle of attack to come out of the bottom of the box and clear the lower wheel door. I had to move the 2 1/2" one over to the RH side of the box for it to clear.

Doug
(03-02-2019, 07:05 PM)Tapper Wrote: Here you go.......... 

[Image: 40296589313_d5ca21c289.jpg]

wow, that's a real beauty, I love it.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
A walker turner 16, thats a neat get. Cast iron everything. And the DC looks pretty well engineered too. BTW, I have the same issue with trying to upload photos here, they all are too big for this site to handle and its too much of a pain to try and edit them down so they fit.
Your DC rig looks factory. Better than....bet it works very well.
Ag
(03-02-2019, 08:35 PM)EvilTwin Wrote: A walker turner 16, thats a neat get.  Cast iron everything.  And the DC looks pretty well engineered too.  BTW, I have the same issue with trying to upload photos here, they all are too big for this site to handle and its too much of a pain to try and edit them down so they fit.

I hear you and agree with you! This morning I vowed to do something to make this easier. I first did a search of the net about hosting services. Google and Flickr were two of the highest rated "free" services. Tried Google and you see what happened to my first attempt at posting the pics in this thread. Went to Flickr and with some help from Rich (Admiral) was able to pretty easily upload photos from my "downloads" file to my Flickr account. Was then able to easily resize them and download them here (see the last two series of photos on the bandsaw).

Also, while nosing around on the Flickr site I discovered that after you get the photos uploaded to your account there, you can easily just click on a photo, copy it and then paste it directly to this site, actually "easy peasy." This method is much easier than having to copy the photo file address, go to the Woodnet site, click on photo icon, and paste it in (hope this isn't too confusing.)

I tried this same technique over at OWWM but it doesn't work; I suppose it depends on how each web site is set up. However, at OWWM I can transfer photos directly from my "downloads" file to the web site. The problem is that ALL pictures that are taken by my Samsung Galaxy cell phone camera in portrait mode, wind up being displayed sideways, a real pain. Have to take them all in landscape mode. This problem is not unique to my phone as others posting there have the same problem.

For those that have had problems downloading photos here, I recommend giving Flickr a try. With what limited knowledge I have I'll be willing to help with any questions - just send me a PM. If I don't know the answer I'll try to find it for you.

Doug
(03-02-2019, 09:15 PM)AgGEM Wrote: Your DC rig looks factory. Better than....bet it works very well.
Ag

Thanks for the kind words. My guess is that it gets 90% or better. I doubt any system will get it all, just the nature of bandsaws,  Some of it escapes out of the back behind the blade below the box (you could see it in the photo). My Rikon 18" bandsaw has two built-in factory 4" ports and I noticed there is still some dust buildup around the lower guides below the table .

Doug