Downsizing, benchtop helical planer?
Hand planes for face jointing - just enough to sit flat on the planer table. That's what I've just committed to. Don't know how it will work (for me) out in practice yet
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I'm another satisfied DW 735 user as well.  I've had mine for over 10 years now.  I have not upgraded the cutter head, maybe someday.

Do note that this unit weighs about 90lbs, so hoisting it from a shelf to a bench by yourself isn't going to work very well.  I built a flip-top stand on casters for mine.  On the other side is my Ridgid OSS.  It works well, but I'm not sure if I would do it again.  I don't use the OSS that much now that I've built my V-drum sander.  I would swap them out, but the new sander is too large. 

The planer actually does well on the flip-top stand with the lighter sander on the other side.  The weight of the planer is low-slung, so it is easy to flip.
Project Website  Adding new stuff all of the time.