Dehumidifiers in the Shop
(03-11-2019, 03:32 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Like all dehumidifiers that unit is not designed to vent the air outside.  That's why I asked.  If the building is well sealed very little air will be exhausted, which would be better than if it's poorly sealed.  If it's poorly sealed then for every cubic foot of air you exhaust outside air leaks in to replace it.  You would be running the unit with no benefit.  Dehumidifiers work by removing water AND returning drier air to the room.  A consequence of that is an increase in temperature.  

John

I do not know about all of them but the ones I have seen have a fan under the top to blow the hot air out.  This pushes the heat thru the hose and out the window.  All of them are made to vent out into the area where they are placed.  All I did was redirect where the air flow was going.
I had a smaller 30qt one that did the same thing and it broke and I replaced it with the one I linked to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-12-2019, 11:50 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I do not know about all of them but the ones I have seen have a fan under the top to blow the hot air out.  This pushes the heat thru the hose and out the window.  All of them are made to vent out into the area where they are placed.  All I did was redirect where the air flow was going.
I had a smaller 30qt one that did the same thing and it broke and I replaced it with the one I linked to.

Yes, exactly.  They are made to vent the hot air back into the room.  That's how they work.  If you duct that air outside you will get zero benefit and a big electric bill.  Just duct the water outside. 

John
(03-12-2019, 02:23 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Yes, exactly.  They are made to vent the hot air back into the room.  That's how they work.  If you duct that air outside you will get zero benefit and a big electric bill.  Just duct the water outside. 

John

???

I do not use it in the winter since the humidity is lower then the summer.  That is why I vent it outside and when winter comes I close the vent off for the winter.  In summer it gets 100+ and do not want the hot air inside.  I have a portable osculating remote 1500w heater inside to keep it warm
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(03-14-2019, 06:47 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: ???

I do not use it in the winter since the humidity is lower then the summer.  That is why I vent it outside and when winter comes I close the vent off for the winter.  In summer it gets 100+ and do not want the hot air inside.  I have a portable osculating remote 1500w heater inside to keep it warm

When it's humid in the Summer, if you vent the air from a dehumidifier outside it will not lower the RH inside.    

There's nothing more to say.  

John
You don't have to buy a dehumidifier with a built in condensate pump.

A stand alone condensate pump is fairly reasonable at home depot. I tied one into the house's waste water system. I expect the pump to outlast the dehumidifier. You have more options buying a dehumidifier without a condensate pump built into it.
My .02
Karl

(03-26-2019, 11:34 AM)measure once cut remeasure Wrote: You don't have to buy a dehumidifier with a built in condensate pump.

A stand alone condensate pump is fairly reasonable at home depot.  I tied one into the house's waste water system.  I expect the pump to outlast the dehumidifier.  You have more options buying a dehumidifier without a condensate pump built into it.

And they are much more reliable.  Most of our school district’s commercial units have integrated pumps.  In all of the units older than 5 years the pump failed.  We never depend on them. Instead we use gravity and  make sure the unit is higher than the discharge location, via a table or shelf or a piece of inverted closet shelving  over a sink/toilet...

When we converted some basement spaces into classrooms we installed unit ventilators with stand alone condensate pumps. None of them have failed (did have plugged drains a couple of times), and some have been in service  at least 15 years.
(03-04-2019, 06:41 PM)jteneyck Wrote: I have a dehumidifier in my basement shop set to 55%.  Never comes on in the Winter here in the NE, runs quite a lot in the Summer.  No rust.

John

Same here. No need during heating season, run it in the summer with it draining directly into the sump.
The dehumidifier can also be shop heat in spring and fall. I have solar panels, and a credit with the electric company. In the summer, the air conditioner keeps the place dry. I keep an eye on the humidity level in the shop, and check the same pieces of wood (bench and wood rack) with a moisture meter. If your shop is so wet that everything is rusting, the wood sitting around is probably soaking wet, and bound to move when it dries out.