Night Stand
Great work Bill!...........................
Very, very nice...is this one you asked about finishing? What did you wind up doing (for the finish)?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Cain, Frank, Fred, Thanks for taking the time to comment.

After trying several finishes on scrap I went with Medium Walnut Danish Oil. It seemed to enhance the natural color without changing it.

---
See ya later,
Bill
(03-05-2019, 08:11 PM)Bill_de Wrote: Cain, Frank, Fred,  Thanks for taking the time to comment.

After trying several finishes on scrap I went with Medium Walnut Danish Oil. It seemed to enhance the natural color without changing it.

---

I love the danish oils for my finishes, topped with a beeswax, buffed to s soft gleam.   The smell of the bees wax has always meant 'done' to me.  Plus the fact you can always just rewax a piece down the road if it starts to look dull.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Thanks Marine!

I've never used bees wax, at least that I can remember. But I had thought about it for this set that it has been on order. Amazon tells me I should have it tomorrow. Any secret tips on using it?

Bill

--
See ya later,
Bill
I love that. Bubinga is gorgeous wood.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
(03-06-2019, 11:08 AM)MsNomer Wrote: I love that.  Bubinga is gorgeous wood.

Thank you. 

I was surprised how easy it is to work with.

---
See ya later,
Bill
Awesome work. I like it!
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-06-2019, 09:48 AM)Bill_de Wrote: Thanks Marine!

I've never used bees wax, at least that I can remember. But I had thought about it for this set that it has been on order. Amazon tells me I should have it tomorrow. Any secret tips on using it?

Bill

--

The first coat is the hardest to apply as the buffing out is a bit rougher.  Apply a light coat and let it dry.  I buff that coat out with an old sock worn folded over inside out and slipped on my hand.  The rougher texture does a great job helping remove the wax after it dries.  Don't wax the entire piece then try and buff it out, do it in sections.  The second and subsequent coats will be much easier to apply and buff out.  But again, don't try and wax the entire piece and then buff, still do it in sections.

The MORE coats you apply, the closer to a gloss finish you will achieve.  I usually go with two or three for protection and a sheen rather than high gloss and buff out my last coat with an old (read this as soft) t-shirt or cloth diaper. On a smaller piece, like a knife handle or something you are CERTAIN you can maintain control of, you can buff a final couple coats on a buffing wheel, but you take a risk of the piece being knocked from your hand or gouged. I normally stick to hand buffing. You an also secure some pieces in a clamp or vice and buff them with long strips of t-shirt or diaper like buffing a shoe. This is often how I put the final shine on knife handles.

If you get wax down in detail areas, a tooth pick will remove the wax without affecting the buffed areas.

Hope this helps.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Looks great!

+17