Designing a Wheelchair Tray
Listening to what the user wants in a project is paramount to a successful project.

(03-09-2019, 08:02 AM)paulmon Wrote: Listening to what the user wants in a project is paramount to a successful project.

Paul

When I made mine I shaped it like a highchair one but wrapped around further and wider by the looks of yours 10" wider.  I also made thicker so I could add 2" deep cup holder.

It was kind of like yours to keep it light but two levels with 2" blocks under the top like I said for the cup holder.

I gave it away two years ago since I figured I no longer needed it and if I do need it again I would do it better and more custom to include reading as well.

Remember it is so easy to have things roll off the edges and I suggest to have a curb all the way around it..

Also I would use a router next time as well since I did not have much in power tools or hand tools back then.

Like I said the perfect shape is like the Babies high chair.
Yes
Yes

O I also had a plastic holder mounted on it to hold the silverware all in one place which helps to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I helped design and build a tray for my Father in Law (quadriplegic with limited use of arms and hands). He was quite adamant that he be able to remove and replace the tray himself. In his case simplicity was best. 1/2 baltic birch ply with a fat "U" shape where the uprights fit around his stomach and kept the tray from sliding side to side. The tray rests directly on his lap. He would elevate it with a small cushion once in a while when he wanted it higher. 
We started with low stops installed around the tray to keep things from sliding off but they just got in the way. These were removed and non-skid cupboard shelf liner was fastened down. He really liked the non skid effect with the flat and level edges.
He used this same tray for close to ten years going through multiple shelf liner re-installs until he sadly passed away. He was never without the tray. It was either on his lap or stored upright between his lap and the wheelchair arm rest. His wife, my mother in law, keeps the tray for sentimental reasons.
I guess I felt I had to mention him. He often lived vicariously through me supervising and advising me on many of my shop projects.
I miss you Densel Webb.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Thanks all for the posts. There are probably endless ways to develop even a simple project like this. Interesting to hear how other people have done it.
I hope you find more help here.

I know I was in the chair for 5 years and Kyle did his and I like his idea of the rubber shelf liner.

Like him I did have stops on both sides to keep it from sliding and would like to have seen his design as well since a lot of vets are in chairs and I maybe could help them as well.

Thanks for bringing it up.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.