Wood floors vs vinyl plank
(03-09-2019, 09:22 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: We have both too. Oak stairs with 6 coats of Parks Waterbased floor finish over a sanded sanding sealer. I can't buy the solvent based urethane floor finishes here. Parks recommends 6-7 coats.

We have the Life-Proof vinyl plank upstairs. It's what HD stocks, it's the best they keep in stock but only has a 6mil wear layer (iirc). 6 mill is pretty thin in the world of vinyl plank. If I were to do vinyl plank again, I'd shop around and find something with a thicker wear layer.. I think 12mil is what most manufacturers recommend for pets and 20 mil for heavy traffic. We do have scratches in the vinyl plank, probably from something on our shoes, not from the dog.

My problem with the 12 - 20mil vinyl plank is that it costs as much as pre-finished hardwood, or more and it can't be repaired as far as I know.

Vinyl plank info

I had the vinyl plank with the 6 mil wear layer wear through the color coat in 4 years where the kitchen chairs are used.   Changed it out to water resistant laminate with a non slip surface.   Been down a year and no effects from chairs or large dog.    Suggest getting the samples and doing your own tests by soaking in water, a knife cut and sandpaper.  The orginal floor was the first generation of Allure vinyl plank.     Roly
(03-10-2019, 08:21 AM)Roly Wrote: I had the vinyl plank with the 6 mil wear layer wear through the color coat in 4 years where the kitchen chairs are used.   Changed it out to water resistant laminate with a non slip surface.   Been down a year and no effects from chairs or large dog.    Suggest getting the samples and doing your own tests by soaking in water, a knife cut and sandpaper.  The orginal floor was the first generation of Allure vinyl plank.     Roly

This? https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTE.../100592904
We just put this down in cherry.
Did you have scuff pads on your chairs?
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I put pads on everything myself.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

(03-10-2019, 05:23 PM)fishhh4 Wrote: I put pads on everything myself.

Same here. We just re-padded the table and chairs before putting them on this new floor.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-10-2019, 05:52 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Same here. We just re-padded the table and chairs before putting them on this new floor.

Yes we put pads on the chairs but it still wore through.   You could see where each chair (all 4 of them) was used but one wore through the color layer.  With the same kitchen set we had two sheet vinyl floors and one laminate floor before that one. None had wear problems and were changed out to update the look.   As I said my Allure was floor was when the vinyl plank just came out.   Roly
For large dogs, especially dogs prone to hip issues, the vinyl offers better traction.   It is way better than laminate (which is very slippery for dogs) and for ceramic tile (same reason).  Wood floors are a bit better, but not nearly as good as vinyl for traction (with toe nails and bare food pads).

For small dogs, this is less of an issue.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.