Stanley #95 Butt Gauge
Veritas now makes one like the Stanley. I thought about picking one up, but they are pricey .
A man of foolish pursuits
(03-10-2019, 11:53 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: At the fleamarket today for $5, I found a Stanley #702 vise .  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98YeocNaGRY   The one I found was in nicer shape and made in England. They are pretty handy . You can clamp them to a sawhorse and hold a door on edge, saves making a door clamp. 

Yeah, those are pretty handy vices, when I find them I pick them up.  The #700 was the US model, they kept making them in the UK after they discontinued them here.  Pic off net.

[Image: 6283.png]
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Actually, both the 700 and the 702 were produced in the U.S. and in England.  I don't know why Stanley felt it was necessary to produce both.

I've owned them, but didn't keep them, except for one as part of my clamp-on vise, um, no, it's not a collection, I just have them, really, not a collection.  I didn't feel they clamped firmly enough to a sawhorse to be useful, although I can see using them as part of a door buck when mortising for hinges and latchsets.

The one I'd like to find at a yard sale is the early model of the Stanley 700:
[Image: vintage-early-1900s-stanley-no-700-clamp...08c937.jpg]
but they're pretty uncommon.
How many block planes did Stanley make ? The aluminum ones are thin castings and are light. I have it in my toolbox right now. The cast iron ones look more serious. I didn't get to hang the door today, I got help , so we hung drywall instead.

The local rock and gem club rented the basement of a 100 year old community hall for a workshop. My wife is the rockhound, so I got volunteered . Boy, I'm racking up points.
(03-11-2019, 08:42 PM)Downwindtracker2 Wrote: How many block planes did Stanley make ? The aluminum ones are thin castings and are light. I have it in my toolbox right now. The cast iron ones look more serious. I didn't get to hang the door today, I got help , so we hung drywall instead.

The local rock and gem club rented the basement of a 100 year old community hall for a workshop. My wife is the rockhound, so I got volunteered . Boy, I'm racking up points.
You could go here and count.  I think the answer is, "quite a few, and more if you count the variant models."  I think the aluminum and pressed steel models are maybe not the best of their planes, for definitely sure; I'd want cast iron for any plane I was actually using.

And hanging drywall earns double points, as does mudding it.  Triple if it's ceiling drywall.
Just a wall, they asked that we leave the old floor joists and wood beams exposed. Floor joists are honest 2x12 rough cut old growth Douglas fir , the beams and posts are 10x10s . It would be sacrilegious to cover them.