Arkansas water stones?
Visited a Woodcraft store yesterday and checked out their sharpening stone area.  I noticed they now sell Arkansas water stones. Interesting, never heard of them..Anyone here have experience with them? Not much info on the packaging, but I assume they are man-made.
I seem to remember, over the past few decades, more than one or two goomers using water on natural Arkansas stones! Maybe what Woodcraft has, are "reconstituted, ground particles of natural stones" in some sort of binder?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(03-10-2019, 02:25 PM)Tony Z Wrote: I seem to remember, over the past few decades, more than one or two goomers using water on natural Arkansas stones!  Maybe what Woodcraft has, are "reconstituted, ground particles of natural stones" in some sort of binder?

I use soapy water with my natural stones. Am I a goomer? is that an insult?
(03-10-2019, 06:05 PM)rfd8w5 Wrote: I use soapy water with my natural stones. Am I a goomer? is that an insult?

Only if you want it to be! Goomers are us knuckle dragging neanderthals.
www.metaltech-pm.com
(03-10-2019, 02:25 PM)Tony Z Wrote: I seem to remember, over the past few decades, more than one or two goomers

Cousin's to Gomer??
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-10-2019, 06:05 PM)rfd8w5 Wrote: I use soapy water with my natural stones. Am I a goomer? is that an insult?

Well, at least a clean one?
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(03-10-2019, 02:25 PM)Tony Z Wrote: I seem to remember, over the past few decades, more than one or two goomers using water on natural Arkansas stones!  Maybe what Woodcraft has, are "reconstituted, ground particles of natural stones" in some sort of binder?

Did some googling and I think you are correct. 

Quote: Introducing RH Preyda Arkansas Waterstones. Traditionally, Novaculite or Arkansas Stones are cut from the earth, and the material is graded for hardness/density and cut into usable shapes. What is unusable is returned to the earth – still unusable except as fill. RH Preyda had a different vision: take the UNUSABLE and crush it, grade it, mix it up into mud, form bricks, and fire it to make Arkansas Waterstones.
(03-11-2019, 10:02 AM)Ricky Wrote: Did some googling and I think you are correct. 

Through the years, I've accumulated many, many natural stones, and have tried a variety of lubricants on them. I find Marvel Mystery Oil, the best (for me). A very close second, is Norton's own honing oil. I would see no reason why soapy water would not work, only that a natural stone will not "break down" as easily as a waterstone, exposing fresh cutting surfaces, making the natural stone a much slower cutting stone.

As far as goomers, galoots, neanderthals, knuckle-draggers, etc., we're all doomed, sooner or later, to live in a van down by the river.
www.metaltech-pm.com
Arkansas Water Stones are made in the USA using Novaculite, the abrasive mineral found in Natural Arkansas Stones. These unique water stones are soaked for 5-10 minutes prior to use, like traditional water stones, but they are harder and slower wearing. Each stone measures 8" x 3" x 1".
by:- rent a car