Shop Update and New Projects!
A shop update.

I must say that despite having had my largest shop in my previous house, this new one might be my favorite shop to date.
Having roughly 20x30+ feet to work with seems to have been a big productivity booster since I'm not having to walk so far between machine and work areas.
Plus, since I was forced to share the space with my lumber, its really convenient and productive to be able to see what I have and get to it quickly. Instead of going to a separate shed with no light.

[Image: IMG_7789.jpeg]

I've had quite a bit of electrical work done to get it into "shop shape". Most recently, I put in this column for the purpose and now have 2 new 220v outlets, plus a 110. It also serves as an anchor point for - FINALLY - comprehensive dust collection which I have never had before. I'm SUPER jazzed about that. (That'll go in next week or so.)
This also gets the irritating extension cords out of the mix. I think I'm going to like this circular layout for specific machines.

[Image: IMG_7790.jpeg]

I started to break down these extra shop cabinets I wasn't using until I realized they could make a decent first miter saw station until I plan and build a more formal one.

[Image: IMG_7788.jpeg]

This other part of the shop will be my hand tool area as soon as I finish my Roubo bench.
I'll move my upper hand tool cabinet over here as well.

[Image: IMG_7791.jpeg]

I recently built this supply and finish cabinet.

[Image: IMG_7704.jpeg]

[Image: IMG_7705.jpeg]

Lastly, I built this main workbench many years ago. Maybe 8-10 years. From a plan in Shop Notes, I think. I've liked it so much that I finally decided to make another one. At least one with the same type of top.

[Image: IMG_7751.jpeg]

Here's the new one with a new set of french cleats - ready for more organization!

[Image: IMG_7759.jpeg]
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas
I can see why you like it so much, nice!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Very nice space.  

Are you planning a build along for the bench build?
(03-13-2019, 08:15 AM)stav Wrote: Very nice space.  

Are you planning a build along for the bench build?

Thanks, stav!

I'm afraid not. I started building my bench about a year and a half ago, but had to move a couple of times in the middle of it.
I'm just now getting back to the project and I need to focus more on not making a mistake than documenting the build. lol
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas
How did you get all that into 20x30 and still make it look so open?  I'm impressed.

John
(03-13-2019, 12:07 PM)jteneyck Wrote: How did you get all that into 20x30 and still make it look so open?  I'm impressed.

John

It's sort of deceptive.
The building is about 30x30.
The photos are of one half, plus a third of the other half. The other 2/3 are a storage area and an indoor storm shelter (which is also used as storage). So the hand tool area is the MIDDLE 1/3 of the second half.

I debated quite a bit on putting in the column for electrical and dust collection. However, it's positioned far enough back that I have full access to the garage door and outfeed table before the column comes into play. That way, I'll never have to worry about moving large and long things around.
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas
The shop is really coming together nicely. It does look bigger than the dimensions.

Enjoy!

--
See ya later,
Bill
Fantastic work area.  I'm sure you'll love working in that space.  Well organized and as others have said, it looks very open for movement.  

Definitely a "You Suck" moment.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
Looking good TJ. I'm glad things are coming together for you.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I thought this thread might be appropriate for a shop update. In an effort to better isolate my "storage crap" and also give me a dust-free zone for small metalworking projects, I recently built a room inside my garage shop. I'm really pleased with how it turned out.

Here's the "BEFORE" of the area:

[Image: IMG_0045.jpeg]

Here's the build-out:

[Image: IMG_0056.jpeg]

[Image: IMG_0057.jpeg]

[Image: IMG_0065.jpeg]

[Image: IMG_0066.jpeg]

[Image: IMG_0067.jpeg]

[Image: IMG_0068.jpeg]

[Image: IMG_0072.jpeg]

[Image: IMG_0221.jpeg]

I built the door itself from scrap and installed it on a barn-style rail.

It's now keeping the sawdust out of my storage stuff and providing me with a nice, dust-free area to stash my "new" South Bend 9" metal lathe and two pre-restore Delta drill presses. (I guess I collect those now. lo)
T.J.
Head Piddler, My Shop
Central Arkansas