Design Help - Large Wall Hanging Thimble Case
I like the removable door option. Clean with no hardware.

I went one step farther with a case I made for a friend. The backing with dividers within a thin rim attached to the wall. Then the entire exterior, including glass front, slipped over it onto a French cleat.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
Ran those ideas past the boss - boss wants a door on hinges
Smirk
Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here
The top of your original was cut off in the picture, but it seems like it is going to be taller; tall enough that perhaps a crown molding might be in order. That opens up a few more mounting options to securely mount it to the wall while still keeping the visible back entirely mirror. Mount the door with several concealed hinges so you can't see a reflection of them in the mirror.

Edit to add: I was thinking that installing the glass would present a similar reflection problem. I think I would make the box wider, rabbet the front to accept the glass allowing extra depth to install a bead to hold the glass in place, then cut the front off of the box. The front (door) should be thick enough for concealed hinges, strong recessed magnets, and possibly a few dowels to help keep everything together.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
Boss issued another decree yesterday, no mirror. She wants it much like the original except different wood and bigger.
Sigh Also nixed the non-reflective glass and wants the plexiglass like the last one.

I need another curly maple board for the dividers and she asked if I could use something cheaper instead. I may tell her my wood supplier ran out of other wood and "I had to buy Curly Maple"
Laugh

Without a mirror I may just drill through the back and attach it to the studs. It certainly won't fall off.

I have visions of a much nicer project and those are scrap. I just went from the fun category to a honey-do.

Thanks everyone
Aliens haven't contacted Earth because there's no sign of intelligence here
If it were me, I would put a white matte acrylic sheet for the back, and back light the thimbles with LED ribbon strips.  Get one that is dimmable.  You don't want it so bright that you can't see the details in the thimble.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I feel yah.  LOML knows, in fact, the wife and kids ALL know... You ask for a project from Grumpy, you get a Grumpy project.  No quick, cheap, and simple box.  It will meet your input, but be made the Grumpy way and take time.

Big Grin
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(03-17-2019, 04:40 PM)Gary™ Wrote:   I just went from the fun category to a honey-do.

That sounds familiar....
Smirk 
We have this ongoing built-in (2 of them) bed projects to do, and it's went from (me) *I finally got interested* to the (me) *your changes aren't happening because it won't work out well* stage.
And it hasn't even begun to get started yet. No material, drawings.......
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Maybe you guys should teach your wives to make their own.  
Winkgrin

I have MrNomer telling me my idea won’t work, so of course I have to prove him wrong.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
(03-17-2019, 04:40 PM)Gary™ Wrote: I have visions of a much nicer project and those are scrap.  I just went from the fun category to a honey-do.

Thanks everyone

Yep, yep... Well your gonna need a new and different tool,  for that kinda project.

(Worth a shot) 
Wink