How to get Bandsaw delivered
(03-20-2019, 10:01 AM)jteneyck Wrote: This was the easy part.  Getting it through the house door and then down into my basement shop was a whole 'nother adventure.  

John

Daunting task; I dealt with that challenge more than a few times in my various shops, which I finally dealt with by requiring a walk out basement the last time I was house hunting.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(03-20-2019, 11:39 AM)Admiral Wrote: Daunting task; I dealt with that challenge more than a few times in my various shops, which I finally dealt with by requiring a walk out basement the last time I was house hunting.

Yeah, it took a bit of engineering to make it happen.  I've wanted a set of Bilco doors for 20 years.  It would have made this and a couple other jobs so much easier.  

John
I wouldn't attempt to setup shop in a basement. Nope. I'd rather set up a tent outside if need be.
Smile
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-20-2019, 05:41 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: I wouldn't attempt to setup shop in a basement. Nope. I'd rather set up a tent outside if need be.
Smile

If you've got a double door walkout to grade, and no groundwater problem (in 17 years, I've not had a drop of water, ever), you'd like it.  This is my second of this type, both on sloped lots; last one was in Charlotte NC (and I had trouble finding ANY basements there) but much easier in NJ.  IN current shop only one short wall has the door, 90% ++ of the remaining walls are below grade; warmer in winter, cooler in summer.  Only downside is not much light from smaller casement windows.
(03-20-2019, 08:06 PM)Admiral Wrote: If you've got a double door walkout to grade, and no groundwater problem (in 17 years, I've not had a drop of water, ever), you'd like it.  This is my second of this type, both on sloped lots; last one was in Charlotte NC (and I had trouble finding ANY basements there) but much easier in NJ.  IN current shop only one short wall has the door, 90% ++ of the remaining walls are below grade; warmer in winter, cooler in summer.  Only downside is not much light from smaller casement windows.

If my current size shop was a basement.....I couldn't afford the house it would take to cover it.
Laugh
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(03-20-2019, 08:19 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: If my current size shop was a basement.....I couldn't afford the house it would take to cover it.
Laugh

I've suggested to my bride in the past construction of a standalone shop off the driveway; she has not been supportive of the concept......
Grew up with basements and then moved out here. Only older homes have them. Mostly craftsman style.

Game plan appears to be tailgate lift truck with pallet jack and then bribe driver to help push it in. Waiting for Griz to call with verdict
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(03-21-2019, 06:34 PM)cputnam Wrote: Grew up with basements and then moved out here.  Only older homes have them.  Mostly craftsman style.

Game plan appears to be tailgate lift truck with pallet jack and then bribe driver to help push it in.  Waiting for Griz to call with verdict

There have been a few times over my tenure here that I have volunteered to help a local woodnetter move equipment. No one has ever taken me up on it, but it is situations like yours that make me wonder why a 'netter or two in your area has not stepped up.
Seems like we need an organized list of folks willing to help out a local brother or sister.
Perhaps we are all spread out too thin geographically to be a worthwhile thing.
I have a basement shop, although it's been set up for a quite a few years, I moved most of the machinery into it, and by myself. I took it apart hauled in on a cart, and put it back together. Most of mine is older so disassembly gave me a chance to "refresh" it.
In a perfect world I would have a big free standing shop on ground level, but that isn't going to happen. My stairs are a straight shot and that helps a lot. It's pretty toasty in Wisconsin winter.
(03-16-2019, 07:25 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Dollies and a ***** along or a rope and pulley.  As for the hand truck it could get away from you depending on strength.  Hell if it comes in an upright crate you could walk it up again depending strength and slope of driveway.  Imagine a small refrigerator, and what it would take for that.  No idea why people focus on the weight of a machine while most would not think twice about an appliance

I realize i did not graduate ***** Laude at my community college but when did "come" become a word bad enough to be replaced with asterisk?
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!