Looking for a good Walnut source
I am planning on making a Black Walnut counter top.  Two sections are going to be close to 10' long by 1 1/2" thick.  Two others are going to close to 6' long by 1 1/2" thick then one short one about 2' long.  I believe in supporting local businesses and plan on talking to my local hardwood supplier today if I buy in bulk what kind of "deal" I can get. 

In the mean time.....does anyone know of a good on line source that will ship to Virginia?  5/4 or 4/4 rough sawn is my plan depending on the price per board foot.

Thanks.
First, thats hardly enough lumber to be called a bulk buy, I would surely bet that the lumber could be sourced locally at a better price than having it shipped.
Are you planning a butcher block style, or rather edge grain? If not you would have much less work starting with 6 or 7/4 lumber.
You might give Steve Wall Lumber a call. He's just south of Virginia in Moyadan NC. Great palce to deal with and he may have what you need.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(03-16-2019, 06:47 AM)jasfrank Wrote: First, thats hardly enough lumber to be called a bulk buy, I would surely bet that the lumber could be sourced locally at a better price than having it shipped.
Are you planning a butcher block style, or rather edge grain? If not you would have much less work starting with 6 or 7/4 lumber.

I plan on doing the math as far as price is concerned on 4/4, 5/4, 6/4 and 7/4 lumber.  It's going to be an edge grain counter top 26" deep but I have to mill it up in 13" sections then glue/biscut 2-13" sections together.
How far are you willing to drive ? I know of a good place but it's a 2 hour drive. I would suspect there should be a supplier near Richmond.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
At my local supplier Walnut is $10 per board foot.  It's estimated I need 240 board feet if I do a 1 1/2" thick counter top.  I'm probably going to do a 1" thick edge grain counter top just to save on the material.
Tom in St. Louis, a member here, will ship.
Freightquote.com can give you a price.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Seems like a lot of waste. I was thinking actual area of 144 bf calling your tops 36’ long x2’ wide and 2” thick. At 1.5” thick it’d be about 130 bf. but add back for some thickness loss and probably 150 bf. I can see a 20% waste factor, but if you use good stock and edge glue where it cant be seen, that even seems high.
One piece of advice. If you're just doing end grain, you don't need to purchase the highest quality walnut from a grain perspective. You can save a few bucks and tolerate some knots, etc. if you're willing to mill your walnut and cut out all the defects.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill