Snappy Bits
Typically, I've always used Fuller countersinks. I need some new ones and was looking at the Snappy bits. I've always been able to sharpen my Fuller bits when dull. Can the Snappy bits be sharpened ? Also, are the hex shanks hollow so to speak ? How "short" can you make the drill bit ?

Thanks for any answers
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(03-16-2019, 06:40 PM)museumguy Wrote: Typically, I've always used Fuller countersinks. I need some new ones and was looking at the Snappy bits. I've always been able to sharpen my Fuller bits when dull. Can the Snappy bits be sharpened ? Also, are the hex shanks hollow so to speak ? How "short" can you make the drill bit ?

Thanks for any answers

Are you talking about sharpening the drill bit itself or the countersink?
The hex shanks with the countersink are hollow, so you can make the drill bit short.

Matt
(03-17-2019, 10:06 AM)mdhills Wrote: Are you talking about sharpening the drill bit itself or the countersink?
The hex shanks with the countersink are hollow, so you can make the drill bit short.

Matt

Sorry, didn't make the question clear. I'm curious about sharpening the countersink itself, not the drill bit. From the pictures I've seen, I can't tell.

Hex shanks are hollow, gotcha, that question is answered, thank you,
Yes
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(03-16-2019, 06:40 PM)museumguy Wrote: Typically, I've always used Fuller countersinks. I need some new ones and was looking at the Snappy bits. I've always been able to sharpen my Fuller bits when dull. Can the Snappy bits be sharpened ? Also, are the hex shanks hollow so to speak ? How "short" can you make the drill bit ?

Thanks for any answers

Yes...sharpen them just like you would sharpen the drill bits..You can do it on the bench grinder if they have two cutting edges or with a small stone in a Dremel if there are more than two..Just provide sufficient clearance.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(03-17-2019, 09:27 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Yes...sharpen them just like you would sharpen the drill bits..You can do it on the bench grinder if they have two cutting edges or with a small stone in a Dremel if there are more than two..Just provide sufficient clearance.

Thanks, that's another question answered. I appreciate it.

Garry
The last snappy products I bought had lost a lot of quality, so I went back to Fuller, and also picked up some Bosch couplers.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

The last snappy bits I bought were horrible they lived up to there name snappy
Chinese quality I am with stwood
Also back to Fuller
(03-18-2019, 10:50 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: The last snappy products I bought had lost a lot of quality, so I went back to Fuller, and also picked up some Bosch couplers.

(03-18-2019, 03:39 PM)oakey Wrote: The last snappy bits I bought were horrible they lived up to there name snappy
Chinese quality I am with stwood
Also back to Fuller

Wow, glad I asked. Fuller have been my go to for 35 years. I actually have a set I need to put on S&S. Over the years, I only need a couple sizes, not a set.

Garry