Neglected by table saw (rust)
I have been religiously applying wax to my table saw's surface until last year.  Doh.  I have noticed today that some spots have some surface rust on it.  Should I use a very fine sandpaper to remove it or do something else?
Use a razor blade to scrape it off then I would start out with Scotchbrite green pad and WD 40 if it is just light rust before going to sandpaper. Roly
Yep, just as Roly said. Slight surface rust is not a hard thing to fix. Elbow grease is your friend,
Big Grin
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(03-17-2019, 06:37 PM)Roly Wrote: Use a razor blade to scrape it off then I would start out with Scotchbrite green pad and WD 40 if it is just light rust before going to sandpaper.  Roly

Thank you Roly for the tip.
(03-17-2019, 06:37 PM)Roly Wrote: Use a razor blade to scrape it off then I would start out with Scotchbrite green pad and WD 40 if it is just light rust before going to sandpaper.  Roly

I do the same on mine.  For the razor blade, I use one of the 4" razor scraper you can get at any of the home supply stores. The handle gives you a little extra power when pushing through the rust and the thicker blade is less likely to snap and send shrapnel flying.  Then I use a scotchbrite pad under a palm sander for final clean up. Then paste wax.
Wax is not a rust protectant. Use something designed specifically as a metal rust protector. CorrosionX, Boeshield, or true synthetic motor oil. Let it sit and "bake in" for a couple days before you wipe it down - then you can wax it for an easy slide. JMO & YMWV
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(03-17-2019, 06:28 PM)Cpl_Eyeball Wrote: I have been religiously applying wax to my table saw's surface until last year.  Doh.  I have noticed today that some spots have some surface rust on it.  Should I use a very fine sandpaper to remove it or do something else?
The wax you used may have caused the rust. Johnson Paste Wax is what I and most others use, does not promote rust. Car wax will cause rust.
# 3 steel wool will cut thru the rust quickly and 220 sandpaper will also work but a bit slower. 
mike
(03-19-2019, 06:01 PM)cputnam Wrote: Wax is not a rust protectant.  Use something designed specifically as a metal rust protector.  CorrosionX, Boeshield, or true synthetic motor oil.  Let it sit and "bake in" for a couple days before you wipe it down - then you can wax it for an easy slide.  JMO & YMWV

What he said.  Boeshield+Wax is your friend.
(03-19-2019, 06:01 PM)cputnam Wrote: CorrosionX, Boeshield, or true synthetic motor oil.  Let it sit and "bake in" for a couple days before you wipe it down - then you can wax it for an easy slide.  JMO & YMWV

Does that cause a problem with finishing? Just curious, never heard that suggested before. I know car wax will, due to the silicone content.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I used to use a razor blade for rust but found them flimsy and the edge was short lived.  
I now use this that is far more comfortable to use and more durable.