Lathe
Not sure if this belongs here or in the Turning section, but here goes.  I am a hobbyist with a basement full of powertools that I use every chance I get.  Have been thinking about getting a lathe and have never owned or operated one before.  I guess I should start with a small and inexpensive one, but on the other hand there is something to be said for jumping in with a larger one on the assumption that I will get good with it and continue to use.  I have seen from some other posts that as a beginner one needs a lot more than the lathe - chucks, gouges, other tools, safety equipment, and I am comfortable with that.  As far as the machine itself though, I am not sure where to start.  Small, medium, large, smaller and graduate to an table extension?  As usual, any and all advice appreciated!  FPT.
Do you have a Woodcraft store near you? You might want to see if they have any turning classes and sign up for a couple to see if it's really something you want to do...

I've got a couple lathes, and the bigger one rarely gets used. That's not to say I don't have plans for it (
Winkgrin ). I don't know that I'd get too invested up front other than the bare necessities. Lathe - complete with faceplates/drive centers & rests (size doesn't matter, but just starting out I think I might start with a used one...), a basic set of tools, a faceshield, and some scrap wood. Find yourself a spot in the shop where you won't mind chips flying all over the place to set it up and plug that puppy in!
Yes 

I really would recommend a class, or two, though. There's a lot I didn't know when I bought my first lathe...
Smirk 

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
The turning forum is a great place; lots of folks there who can answer every question you have.

I bought a Jet Midi lathe to turn pens and make parts for furniture restoration.  I have an extended bed and it can be used to turn table legs.  It does well for what it's designed purpose.  However, while it will turn bowls, it lacks capacity to handle larger work pieces.

If there's one thing I really wish it had, that would be an electronic variable speed control.

Opinions about what tools and such are all over the place.  Loads of info over on the turning forum.

Have fun!
I second the idea of finding a place where you can take some classes to see if its really for you.  As for the size, big lathes can turn small stuff, but smaller lathes can be limited in what they can turn.  Even so, most of the midi lathes will at least swing 6" which means a 12" diameter turning.

I started out with a Jet midi and then as part of the OWWM surge got one of the Delta floor lathes with the reeves drive.  I used that lathe for years but found it limiting in doing larger turnings like plates or bowls.  I recently upgraded to a Nova Galaxi DVR which can swing 8" over the bed but has a pivoting headstock which means you can twist it off angle and turn considerably larger pieces.  It wasn't cheap, but it wasnt as expensive as some other large lathes that are out there.

The other consideration as you mentioned are the accessories.  They can get expensive and can exceed the cost of the lathe itself.  Various chucks, faceplates, chisels, toolrests and safety equipment like respirators up the ante considerably.  But the good news is that you can acquire them over time, birthday and Christmas gifts if you like.  They make life easier by expanding your options in what you can do.  

Probably the cheapest way into turning is to find a used machine, but keep in mind it probably won't be your last if the bug bites.
(03-18-2019, 09:02 PM)fptahoe Wrote: Not sure if this belongs here or in the Turning section, but here goes.  I am a hobbyist with a basement full of powertools that I use every chance I get.  Have been thinking about getting a lathe and have never owned or operated one before.  I guess I should start with a small and inexpensive one, but on the other hand there is something to be said for jumping in with a larger one on the assumption that I will get good with it and continue to use.  I have seen from some other posts that as a beginner one needs a lot more than the lathe - chucks, gouges, other tools, safety equipment, and I am comfortable with that.  As far as the machine itself though, I am not sure where to start.  Small, medium, large, smaller and graduate to an table extension?  As usual, any and all advice appreciated!  FPT.

Small and inexpensive will limit you too much.  You can turn  small stuff on a big capacity machine, but not the other way round.  In my opinion, after owning two others and using many in demos and instruction, this is about as versatile as you get for the money. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/nova-1624-ii-lathe  If you can't find a good used (minimum 12") model, do it. 

Won't do long spindles as a 24 bed, but joining two pieces will do all the legs you'll ever want to make.  The real kick in turning is bowls, vases, platters and so forth.  Wants a chuck and fairly generous swing.  Also wants a good low end rpm to take advantage of the swing.  Infinitely variable rpm not required, because you will learn to slice the wood, which also means no chips flying, thus limiting the mess and minimizing danger to the turner.  Mine's up against a wall, but if you mount on top of a good cabinet, you could false wall behind as well.  Only required for roughing wet stuff or hollowing inside.  For outside work, you can drop shavings right into a bag. 

Tools are legion.  Everyone has their own ideas, but when you research, you'll find that most all sets have the same selection.  Carbon steel is fine.  Don't need a grinder or a jig, because diamond stones will make the edge keen again without taking off much steel or altering the profile. Just learn to turn before you start chasing everyone else's favorite pattern, alloy or grind.  BTDT, quit after about 5 years, and have many tools which never meet wood anymore.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I'm on my second big lathe. Here is my advice:
     1. Used
     2. Electronic variable speed
     3. Take classes
     4.  Find a turning club

Finding a turning club FIRST could be the smartest way to start.  It has been my experience, turners are the most eager at wanting to help.  

I took one private lesson in bowl turning but it was close to five years before I had time to turn on the lathe so the lesson was only a small help.  If I had joined a club earlier I would have saved a lot of money.  I have tools I do not need, I have three different and expensive sharpening systems, and list goes on.

I am a woodworker first, but the lathe brings me so much joy!

You are very smart in asking before you jump onto a slippery slope.

Good luck.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Most of what I would say has been said already. I'll add: Get the biggest lathe you can fit into the spot you have set aside.

The lathe is the *cheapest* part of the hobby. It's all the tools and accessories that make it expensive.

Pens are a *ton* of fun to turn because the learning curve is incredibly shallow, the end result happens *very* quickly, and EVERYBODY loves getting a hand made pen. If you turn pens, turn acrylic first. It's more forgiving and easier to finish than wood. It also lasts longer.
Semper fi,
Brad

If you PM me your city and state I will find a turning club close to you.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
You've gotten some great advice already - especially about taking a class or two and joining a turning club. Once you've gotten some experience with a lathe and a couple of projects you'll get a better idea of the direction you want to go.

I second the motion to buy good used stuff. I see good used lathes on our Nashville craigslist all the time. If you can be patient and wait until the one you want comes up at the price you want to pay you'll likely save a lot of bucks. However, if you're wanting one now there's a number of vendors who would be willing to help you out with that, too!

Have fun and let us know what you end up with!
I started out with a rather lightweight Taiwaneese benchtop lathe which at the time (mid 90-ies) was sold in Europe under the Rexon brand. It had quite a few cast iron parts but it was still rather lightweight. I could just carry it on my own.
After a while I realized that I had no talent whatsoever for turning and could not learn it however much I trained so for 20 years I turned only when there was to other way to make the desired part. I always screwed up at least 2 chisel handles while making one functional. I learned to hate turning.

Then one day the woman I was dating at the time wanted a new darning muchroom and could not find one for sale so she asked if I could turn one for her. At that moment my lathe was inacessible behind a stack of parts so I asked a friend if I could come to his workshop and borrow his lathe and try to make something. His lathe is a rather heavily built floor standing Ejca. A high quality lathe.
Suddenly I could turn!
The darning mushroom became perfect on my first attempt. Afterwards I turned some tool handles while I was at it only because turning was so fun. The culprit that had kept me unable to turn despite many attempts and quite a bit of training during 20 years was my too light and flimsy lathe.

After that experience I got a heavy floor standing lathe. A 1950-ies Solberga. It should weigh something like 300 kilos I guess. It still awaiting new electric wiring before I can put it to use......... the lathe I wish I had gotten from the beginning.

On a principle level I am firmy against the popular concept of upgrading step by step as you learn more. There isn't much of a secondhand market for low end machines so the money spent on one will essentially be lost when you upgrade. Money which had better been spent on the next machine.
Of cause the dealers want us to upgrade in as many steps as possible so they can extract the maximal amount of money from us.

Of cause everyone doesn't have the money to buy new high end machinery. A new Solberga or even a Powermatic 4224B isn't accessible to most of us and especially not to beginners. I am not suggesting that you should spend such money.

What I suggest is that you should look for the best lathe you jan justify paying for and the biggest you can comfortably fit into your available space. Don't be afraid of secondhand and don't hurry. One day you will find one that suits you!

Good luck!
Part timer living on the western coast of Finland. Not a native speaker of English