Backsplash Tiling
Undertaking a new countertop project soon.  Part of it will be a new tiled backsplash.  SWMBO has it narrowed down to either an ogee type mosaic or the basic 2x6 subway tiles.  I've got a question about installation time between the two types.  I realize that on the mosaic tiles, they come in sheets and therefore you can "apply" multiple tiles at once, and all the sheet nest together and life is grand.  However, seems like you'll have more work in going back and cutting little "half tiles" to fit in all the gaps left by the sheets around all the edges.  For this reason, it seems that I would be better off with a subway tile (or any thing that has a straight edge).  I'm also not keen on trimming the mosaic sheets around the 9 outlets around the backsplash.

So what does WN say?  Save time by applying the sheets?  Or quicker in the end to just go with the rectangle tiles?  

Picture of her proposed pattern:

[Image: 081516541324.jpg]
For a backsplash... it's probably 50/50 with a slight edge going to single tiles.

You'll still need to cut the single tiles unless you get extremely luck on your height. Going around your outlets with single tiles would be easier. However, if your really like the mosaic pattern, it's not that big of an issue to deal with.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I tried this and if you don't have a saw with a sliding head, this job is a huge burden.  If the tiles are large enough, and you have a really good tile scoring cutter (not one of those $50.00 jobs) you might be able to score and cut the tiles.  But then you will need a stone to dress the edges.  So not a good approach.

I gave up and got some rectangular tiles.  

There are several videos on how to do this, but all of them seem to show it cutting glass mosaics, and not porcelain.  The glass cuts very cleanly.  The ceramic needs to be dressed or maybe you can hide the cut edges with the grout.  I won't try this again.

I ended up with an Ishii tile cutter and a Montolit nipper.  They both work exceptionally well (and much better than the stuff at Home Depot).

The best source for professional grade tools that I found was Tile Tools:  https://www.tiletools.com/product-catego...e-cutters/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOBlt08tLyQ
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
How you cut them all depends on the tile. Glass tiles need to be scored with a glass cutter and snapped. It's really pretty easy. Porcelain and ceramic and be scored with a tile cutter and snapped, cut with a tile saw or cut with a diamond cutter using an angle grinder. I generally opt for the diamond cutter. It's become my best friend when laying tile.

As far as mosaic tiles go; I generally (always) remove the tiles to be cut from the sheet but leave the mesh, set the sheet on the wall and let the thinset set up a bit so they don't move. Cut the mesh around the outlet boxes and rowel down the exposed mesh and remove any thinset that pushes through. I use a bondo spreader or anything thin and stiff. Then I install the individual cut tiles around the outlet on the mesh that you left behind. I usually do that after the thinset as set up a bit as to not disturb the mosaics It's easier and neater to "back butter" the individual cut tiles as opposed to buttering the wall and setting the tile in it.

If you have never installed mosaic sheets, you should know that the sheet tends to sag when set on the wall so you may need to do some wedging between tiles to keep them in place. Depending on the gap between the tiles, sometimes a box of Popsicle sticks comes in handy. But I would look at the tile wedges when you buy your tile, find the ones that fit between the tiles tightly.Or get the next smallest and cut the tips off so they fit snugly.

Too much thinset on the wall will push up between the tiles and can cause havoc so I recommend mixing your thinset quite dry, more like peanut butter than toothpaste. And use a trowel with very small notches. Usually the smallest notched trowel at the big box stores is 1/4" x 1/4" which (imho) is too big for mosaic on a wall. If you can't find a smaller notched trowel, just make sure you hold the trowel at 45 deg or less to make sure the depth isn't too deep. This will help prevent the thinset from squishing up between the tiles and help prevent "wavy" mosaic. Grout looks lousy when the thinset comes up between the tiles and mosaic looks lousy when it's wavy from too much thinset.

Another tip: If you use a light colored grout, buy white thinset. If you use a dark grout, use a gray thinset. Grout is somewhat transparent so this helps the grout color stay uniform.

If you follow these tips, the sheets should go faster than subway, If you don't, mosaic sheets can be a pain.

I'm by no means an expert but I have laid about as much tile as I'd ever like to lay. Until I do the entry hall in a month or so.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

If you can score and snap porcelain tile, you’re way better than me!
VH07V  
(03-22-2019, 02:44 AM)EightFingers Wrote: If you can score and snap porcelain tile, you’re way better than me!
This is what I use to "score and snap". Still, better than 90% of my cuts are done with an angle grinder and all of my notches and round cutouts.
You can buy a cheap angle grinder under $30 and the 4" diamond saw blade costs under $25. One Blade will last several tile jobs and cheap angle grinders work fine for this typ of thing. I paid about $25 for my Black and Decker from WalMart and have had it nearly 15 years and many tile jobs. No need to cut wet, I cut mine dry. Make the cuts outside, very dusty.

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

I used a high quality tile cutter for the porcelain tile in the bathroom after I abandoned the little "table saw" style cutter which would invariably chip out the very end of the cut.  

Additionally, the scoring and snapping was vastly faster and cleaner (no water), so I preferred it.  

I have the small nippers (very good Italian ones) and an angle grinder.  

I did make a test with the notched trowel to make sure that I had the right size.  If you use the wrong notched trowel, you will either end up with too little thinset or too much.

This video shows how to test for the right trowel size and how to correctly apply it to the wall.  On the TV shows I see them applying the thinset incorrectly very often.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Way5bMh-eYg
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(03-22-2019, 11:45 AM)Cooler Wrote: I used a high quality tile cutter for the porcelain tile in the bathroom after I abandoned the little "table saw" style cutter which would invariably chip out the very end of the cut.  

I tried one of those too... fortunately it was a fairly inexpensive mistake.

I have bought a better overarm wet-saw but it's really rarely used. A must have for marble but I don't like messing with marble if at all possible.

... Kizar Sosay