Dust mask/respirator
Really need to start using some sort of dust protection while sanding.  Was leaning toward the Trend full face air driven mask but reading a lot of negative reviews regarding quality for that kind of money (close to $400).  Also not sure how comfortable a full face mask would be for extended periods when sanding a larger project.  Reading a lot of good comments on a half face mask, GVS Elipse P100.  It seems pretty compact and maybe wouldn't interfere with eyeglasses.  Plus it's a lot cheaper, about $30.  Any input on either, or other products would be appreciated.  Going to Chantily woodshow this  weekend and would hate to drop $400 on something i'm going to find i'm not using because of the comfort aspect or inferior product.
I regularly use a 3M Quick Latch half face respirator and it is very comfortable. I use the 3M Advanced Particulate Filter, 2297, P100 (Pack of 2 Filters). Both available on Amazon.
When I had a day job, we had to have 1/2 masks on our person all the time on the plant floor...and often had to wear them for several hours at a time. They were also tested once a year through an elaborate 15 minute or so process to ensure they were effective. After all that, my opinion is that more important than what mask you select is that 1) it fit correctly, and 2) it's comfortable to wear. Most of them come in sizes like S, M, and L and you need to get the ones suited for your face (no facial hair whatsoever). Trying them on is something the retailer may not want you to do, and I have no idea how you figure out the size....other than try one and see. For comfort the seal needs to be supple and the mask shouldn't be overly heavy. Again, wearing one is the best approach....with the same problems with the retailer. Lastly, you want interchangeable/replaceable filters (easily available) so it will last a long time. I still use a North and a 3M  from my day job (they didn't want them back) and they are quite good. I retired 17 years ago, so mine are probably need to be replaced...I like the GVS and may give them a try.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I really dislike the hard plastic masks. My face seems to be longer than the average (yes, you can call me horse face if you want) so they really put a lot of pressure on the bridge of my nose.  After reading a thread on the RZ mask recently, I decided to give it a try. I have not had any projects to do since I got it, but it sure seems like it would be more comfortable over a long period.
(03-20-2019, 06:59 PM)meanderawl Wrote: Really need to start using some sort of dust protection while sanding.  Was leaning toward the Trend full face air driven mask but reading a lot of negative reviews regarding quality for that kind of money (close to $400).  Also not sure how comfortable a full face mask would be for extended periods when sanding a larger project.  Reading a lot of good comments on a half face mask, GVS Elipse P100.  It seems pretty compact and maybe wouldn't interfere with eyeglasses.  Plus it's a lot cheaper, about $30.  Any input on either, or other products would be appreciated.  Going to Chantily woodshow this  weekend and would hate to drop $400 on something i'm going to find i'm not using because of the comfort aspect or inferior product.

I just recently was asking aobut something similar.  I needed a dust mask for the shop and I wanted to wear it for the majority of the time that I'm in there.

I went with an RZ Dust Mask and I was very surprised how much I do like it.

If I had to do it over again the only change that I'd make is that I'd get the model that I linked to.  I got the model with two small straps rather than one wide one and those little straps seem like they won't last very long.  When that happens I'll replace them but keep the mask.

Bye the way, one thing that I immediately noticed was smells.
When I was at my disk sander I could smell the wood that I was sanding when I had on another type of mask.  With the RZ I can't smell the wood and that seems to indicate that all dust is being filtered and kept out of my nose.  I like that!
Peter

My "day job"
Thanks for the input. The RZ mask certainly looks like it would be comfortable and out of the way for extended periods. Will have to check into that one. Also heading out to the Chantilly WoodShow tomorrow and i'm sure i'll be able to get a closer look at the Trend.

https://meanderawlwoodshop.wordpress.com/
Just to add that I purchased the RZ mask that Peter links above. I've used it for sanding a couple times now and I am very happy with it.

It does well with not fogging up my glasses.
(03-21-2019, 11:56 AM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: I just recently was asking aobut something similar.  I needed a dust mask for the shop and I wanted to wear it for the majority of the time that I'm in there.

If I had to do it over again the only change that I'd make is that I'd get the model that I linked to.  I got the model with two small straps rather than one wide one and those little straps seem like they won't last very long.  When that happens I'll replace them but keep the mask.

When I was at my disk sander I could smell the wood that I was sanding when I had on another type of mask.  With the RZ I can't smell the wood and that seems to indicate that all dust is being filtered and kept out of my nose.  I like that!

Looks like Amazon is out of these masks.
(03-21-2019, 11:56 AM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: I just recently was asking aobut something similar.  I needed a dust mask for the shop and I wanted to wear it for the majority of the time that I'm in there.

I have been using an RZ for 6 months and am happy with it. I got the upgraded valves....makes it better IMHO. 

Frankly if the OP is looking for a better sanding experience I suggest getting a high quality sander with great dust collection with a hepa vac and an RZ mask if needed.

I sand a ton (10-12 hours a week) and id guess more than 95% of the dust gets captured by the vac.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

A standard 3M dust mask will do an adequate job IMO.

For painting and MDF, I use a respirator.

I also recommend you think about shop ventilation and filtration.

I think a lot of us forget that there is dust suspended in the air long after the cut is over.

So don't be too quick to remove that mask!!