HVAC experts...
Situation:  In January 2018, our 14-year old heat pump compressor gave up the ghost.  We replaced that whole system with a new Lennox heat pump and propane aux burner.

Shortly after the install, we had to bring them back out because the new heat pump was not producing heat.  They had to do a partial refill of refrigerant.  They checked for leaks, found none, and decided that somehow they didn't get it fully charged during the install.  Also had to have another service call on a morning with no heat, but that was traced to a faulty brand-new thermostat they installed with the system.

System worked OK for the rest of the heating season and then the summer cooling season and into this brutal winter.  Two Sundays ago, I noted the heat pump cycle on for a couple minutes, then shut down.  A few minutes later, it cycled on again, and then shut down.  The temp in the house began to drop and the only way I could get heat was to switch the system into emergency heat mode at the thermostat.

Called out the service guy, same company that did the install.  After some checking, he determined the heat pump was in a lockout mode due to insufficient refrigerant.  He detected a leak in the A coil in the heat exchanger unit inside the house.  His recommendation was to replace the whole coil since it was under warranty, and he wasn't keen to solder the leaking seam on the coil that's covered by a warranty.

For more than a week, the HVAC company had no status nor expected receipt date for the replacement A coil from Lennox for a system that is under warranty.  After much follow-up and expressing my regret to the owner at having bought this $10K system, the HVAC company has finally tracked down an A coil.  But now they say they can't install and checkout until the outside air temperature reaches 70 degrees.  WTH?  They were willing to sell and install this system on a day in which it was 45 degrees.

So, this sad story is a long way to get around to the question:  Am I being told correctly that the outside air temp needs to be 70 degrees to recharge and check out this heat pump?

Was hoping that spending some extra coin on a Lennox system would result in an HVAC system that was more reliable than the old Trane system it replaced.  That hasn't been the case so far.
You need to PM Blackhat
Yes
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

Show them this video and see what their response is.  I would also ask them if their service technicians use a micron gauge when pulling a vacuum on a refrigerant system whether it's a new install or a repair.  A micron gauge tells how much moisture is in the refrigerant system.  If a system has a leak while pulling a vacuum the micron gauge won't get to the proper number because the system is sucking in air from the leak in the refrigerant lines, coils, compressor, etc.  When I worked in the field I always shot for 250-500 microns.  Of course, you could have just had a bad coil from the start or it went bad after they adjusted the charge the first time seeing how it lasted through the summer without issue.

First off, Lennox has experienced some significant problems with parts availability the past 6 months are so.  A facility destroyed in a fire and some other related problems, particularly with their newest high end product lines but not limited to them.  Second, there are other methods of correctly replacing the charge in a system that are not temp dependent.

Go in person to their office and ask to speak to their service manager.  Have copies of your receipts and work orders.  Mind that the warranty probably says repair or replace at their option and may not include the cost of refrigerant.  Warranties vary a lot so read yours.  Try to remain civil but do mention the amount of lost work time you have experienced with having to be home to meet repairman, etc.  Hopefully, a reasonable agreement can be reached in short order while face to face but do not leave without an agreement of additional costs and a firm date for repair.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Thanks, BH.  Here's what transpired late yesterday...

I received a call from the "front desk" person telling me that she had spoken to the owner.  The front desk person has been at the company a long time; I've spoken to her on several occasions.  I don't know if she's related to the owner or whatever; doesn't make any difference.  She said that the owner said they didn't need to wait to install the coil.  I told her that I would prefer to have all the work done at one shot and so we've set up for next Wednesday morning.  It's going to be a four hour job at minimum.

As for how to approach; you're right that calm and persistent wins the day.  I've been working with large Government and industry bureaucracies for nearly 40 years now; my experience is that surly and disrespectful never wins the ultimate prize.  I did communicate my unhappiness over the situation the other day, but kept cool and calm.  I think my exact words were, "I've now had three unplanned maintenance calls on this new unit in the past 14 months.  That's about the same rate of problems as the old system it replaced.  I'm beginning to question my decision to buy this unit."  No raised voice; direct, clear wording.  I never express significant satisfaction issues only to the technician, and I never make that person the focus of the dissatisfaction.

My previous HVAC guy got out of the residential business.  I went to this company last year based on recommendations from two coworkers, and the company is well-known here in town where they've been in business for nearly 50 years.  Even though I live 30 miles from the town across the river in a neighboring state, the owner actually lives 6-7 miles from me in the same state.

We'll see what happens next week.
They should be able to weigh in the charge and get very close. When temps warm up again, they can verify the charge. Don't see many Lennox here- Perhaps Lennox is the only one I'm aware of who doesn't allow this?

I just replaced a 2 year old Trane evaporator coil for leaks and a Trane 4 year old condenser coil- a 3 year old Goodman condenser coil- everyone is having this problem.
I will recommend you to consult a handyman to help you with existing HVAC system. There are many cleaning services companies in the market.
(04-01-2019, 05:25 AM)homeimproveflor Wrote: I will recommend you to consult a handyman to help you with existing HVAC system. There are many cleaning services companies in the market.

Laugh
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(04-01-2019, 05:50 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote:
Laugh

Dang...and here I went and got it fixed already. 
Uhoh
To close this out:  A-coil was replaced last Wednesday.  3-hour job with two techs.

The company did stand up and do the work; the tech said I wouldn't be receiving an invoice.  The tech said the owner stated he "couldn't charge for work major like this when the warranty period just expired."

I'm appreciative of that and will send a note thanking them for the service. 

I really don't want to move on from these guys.  They're the only ones who have really fixed my gas fireplaces and at a small fraction of what other fireplace outfits charge to come out and just do a simple checkup.  Fireplaces aren't their main line, but they do sell/install fireplaces.  They just have a couple trained techs to take care of the work when it comes up.