Bent Laminate question
Gents,  I'm making a bent laminate arch from Cherry.  This will be a catenary arch made by compressing a stack of laminate end-on so that it 'buckles' to the desired shape.

I need about 2" of "rise" over a 36" run, and the final stack will about 1/2" thick.  What's thickest I can have the plys and make this work?
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

I always go with 1/8". Unless it is a tight radius of course.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
I always do what musemguy said, 1/8" and have done 3/16" before too. 2" over a 36" radius is not a very tight bend so you should be fine with either of those thicknesses. I also use plastic resin glue on my bent lams which has a little less springback than pva glue IMHO.
(03-22-2019, 05:54 PM)FrankAtl Wrote: I always do what musemguy said, 1/8" and have done 3/16" before too. 2" over a 36" radius is not a very tight bend so you should be fine with either of those thicknesses. I also use plastic resin glue on my bent lams which has a little less springback than pva glue IMHO.

And gives you time to fuss.
(03-22-2019, 04:13 PM)jgourlay Wrote: Gents,  I'm making a bent laminate arch from Cherry.  This will be a catenary arch made by compressing a stack of laminate end-on so that it 'buckles' to the desired shape.

I need about 2" of "rise" over a 36" run, and the final stack will about 1/2" thick.  What's thickest I can have the plys and make this work?

1/4" should bend easily with a 2" rise. If you soak the whole piece in hot water with a Fabric softener then lamination is not needed. Keep the piece in water til it cools , then bend and clamp around a form. Make the form for a 2-1/4" bend, allows for spring back. Leave in form for 24 hrs. 
mike
Thanks Ya'll!  Relieved 1/8" will work:  makes it easy.
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Please let us know how it turns out (pics or it didn't happen)
Laugh
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(03-22-2019, 04:13 PM)jgourlay Wrote: Gents,  I'm making a bent laminate arch from Cherry.  This will be a catenary arch made by compressing a stack of laminate end-on so that it 'buckles' to the desired shape.

More, thinner laminates spring back less than fewer, thicker laminates.

I tend to use 1/8” to make it easier to determine the final thickness. 

You will also need to overbend the stack because it will spring back some when removed from the clamps. For 1/8” thick strips with this bend up, overbend by about 3/4” over the desired radius.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.