Anyone buy an Armor-Tool bench?
(04-12-2019, 09:20 AM)kdouglaslee Wrote: You're right, of course, but I think a lot guys, particularly when they are new to woodworking, see something shiny and new and think that it'll be better than what they can easily and far more cheaply do themselves. $434 including shipping plus sales tax is a pretty huge amount of money for something that can be made for the cost of a load of 2x4 SYP, a forstner bit and some casters (if you wanted it to roll, that is).

I was thinking after looking at this and the kreg stuff....can't you scab some free bed frames on CL and make the angle base? Then paint it blue...green or whatever and have the metal base like these the. A "holey" top and you are good. 

Am I m.j kissing something.  

Again though build/buy....both have merits.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
(04-15-2019, 07:52 AM)Scott W Wrote: I was thinking after looking at this and the kreg stuff....can't you scab some free bed frames on CL and make the angle base? Then paint it blue...green or whatever and have the metal base like these the. A "holey" top and you are good. 

Am I m.j kissing something.  

Again though build/buy....both have merits.

I never thought about using old bed frames for angle iron, but it does sound like a great idea, if you have a project you want angle iron for.  As for me, I have an all-wood rolling table in my shop that I made for general purposes, mainly to be used as an outfeed table but also as a rolling bench, and it is similar in size to the Armor-Tool bench.  I'm getting ready to modify it, make it into a downdraft table by drilling round holes that I can also use bench dogs in.  If I had bought everything new, the casters would be the most expensive component but with really good casters the entire thing would probably not be $75, I might add all of $20 converting it to a downdraft table.  To each his own, but I really can't see what makes the Armor-Tool bench worth well over $400
"Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped." Andy Weir (in his book The Martian)