Need a schematic for a S45
That box is just a junction box.  As long as the connections inside are secure it's not the source of your problem.  

I'm pretty sure there is no soft start feature on that saw.  

Check the FLA on the motor plate.  Then look at the AEG manual starter.  On the front face, just to the left of the red off button, there is an adjustment for the FLA of the motor.  Make sure it is set to exactly the same value as what the motor says.  If it's set too low the motor won't start, though it may briefly try to.  The adjustment could have gotten moved during transport.

John
On the links stwood provided they only show 3 phase motors, that is why I was asking for a motor nameplate photo. Roly
My friend came over and he read all of the responses. He also laughed at what I wrote. He said , I said a stuck relay, not a stuck resistor and said it reads like a lot of knowledgeable people responded to my problem. and then we went to my shop and he looked at the tag on the motor and listened to the hum from the switch.

He said he was expecting a loud hum and he wasn't concerned at what he was hearing from the switch but said it would be interesting to hear what you had to say about the slight hum and is that normal. 

Bare in mind that it has been cold here in Iowa and in snow up to the knees and my shop is unheated. I just plugged it in heard the hum and the on and off switch didn't turn the machine on, so I unplugged it and started to ask questions here on the forum. I suck at searching the net.

And then he asked me about what appeared to be a switch on the end of the motor. One that a person would turn to turn something on with.  I was dumb founded, I never though to look at the end of the motor. Anyway I  made sure the switch was in the off position. Then I plugged in the saw in back in and once more and nothing. And then I pushed the ON button on the saw and you will never guess what happened, the saw came to life and ran as smoothly and quietly as anyone could hope for. Never once had to even hook up his voltmeter.

Now I had taken the table off so I could see everything better and the blade has also been removed so I will find out latter but it is the smoothest and quietest band saw I have ever heard. 

Thank you for all your help and for the information I did receive from you. And I especially want to thank you for your most precious gift, your time and your willingness to share it.

Tom

Cool  .....................
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020