Freud bearing guided mortising bit -why on earth is the bearing larger??
(03-25-2019, 01:16 PM)Roly Wrote: That router bit with the 5/8" bearing and 1/2" cutting diameter is for the Porter Cable door hinge template.     Roly

Couldn't help myself, I emailed Freud to ask. They replied that yes, this bit is designed specifically to go with the Porter Cable door hinge set.. Seems odd that they wouldn't label it a bit more clearly!

yes yes, I bought the wrong bit for my template, or made the wrong template for the bit.. All I'm saying was this was completely unexpected..
The router bit is also used for the Hinge-Mate jig made of aluminum. I think the bearing is larger than the cutter to protect the aluminum jig edge.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(03-25-2019, 09:51 AM)Ohio Mike Wrote: If you listen to the podcast FINE WOODWORKING'S SHOP TALK LIVE #183 (free on iTunes and elsewhere) you'll hear the host, Ben Strano, rant about this very subject.  I don't think the panel of experts  came to a conclusion about why manufacturers offer such a bit.

Such a panel of pseudo experts(!) and rant about something they really were ignorant about.

Simon