Titebond: New Date Code
PSA: Titebond has started using a new date code on its glues as of Jan 1, 2019.

First letter is location of manufacture code

Next two numbers are year: 19 is 2019 (old code was using single digit for year)

Next two numbers after that are month code.

Most of you probably could have cracked this secret code on your own: this post is for the few that
might not have.

That is all.
(03-25-2019, 10:10 AM)Philip1231 Wrote: PSA: Titebond has started using a new date code on its glues as of Jan 1, 2019.

First letter is location of manufacture code

Next two numbers are year: 19 is 2019 (old code was using single digit for year)

Next two numbers after that are month code.

Most of you probably could have cracked this secret code on your own: this post is for the few that
might not have.  

That is all.

So....how old can Titebond get, before you pitch it?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(03-25-2019, 10:23 AM)Tony Z Wrote: So....how old can Titebond get, before you pitch it?

Everything you ever wanted to know:

Titebond Info Brochure
(03-25-2019, 10:36 AM)Philip1231 Wrote: Everything you ever wanted to know:

Titebond Info Brochure

www.metaltech-pm.com
I thought titebond said the glue was good as long as it looks good, i.e., not stringy or water separated out.  I have certainly used years-old titebond with good success.  OTOH, I bought a gallon once and it went stringy fairly quickly.
(03-25-2019, 01:32 PM)EricU Wrote: I thought titebond said the glue was good as long as it looks good, i.e., not stringy or water separated out.  I have certainly used years-old titebond with good success.  OTOH, I bought a gallon once and it went stringy fairly quickly.

I actually remember someone on some forum, giving a shelf life of about a year for Titebond. I have a gallon I've been using for nearly 2-1/2 years, without issues. However, it is about halfway empty, and it might be false economy to push any further.
www.metaltech-pm.com
Not sure how many gallons of glue and finish I've tossed over the years, but after all the work/effort/time put into the joinery of a piece, not too mention the $$ invested in the wood, I can't take the chance on "maybe OK" glue or "probably OK" finish.
I finished up a gallon of Original about 6 months ago.
That gallon was at least 9 years old. I closed my shop in early 2010, and had that one, which was open, and I still have a gallon that hasn't been opened.
In finishing up my own cabinets here at home, I used that open gallon. I have made all slab doors, plus all the other  parts that are glued up...face frames, drawers....etc...  I haven't had a glue failure yet.

Now since I emptied that open gallon, I've bought new, 16oz bottles of Original and am using the new.

I'm still eyeballing that lone, unopened gallon of Titebond Original 
Raised . The color in the jug looks good....
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Sometimes, I wonder about "use-by" dates? I am in the school that questions canned goods only if they are leaking or bulging. Last year I threw out some cherry pie filling we used for camping trips. It was only half as old as our marriage of 39 years. A definite toss is baking soda and their baking mixes. Even flour gets skunky.

I will throw out shellac that is about 6 months past the mix date. I'm not sure about dry dates. Dry mixes pretty well. And, Deft lacquer lives forever. Durability of lacquer finish is pretty darn good, too. We have pieces approaching 40 years--no crazing or yellow.

Anyway, the type II Titebond is still working after freezing and heating for two, likely three, winters.
I chatted with a TB rep when one of my 16oz bottles went TU.
So long as the color is correct and the glue pours correctly, it’s good glue.
Shelf life after opening it is about 2 years.
Kept cool and in a low humidity environment helps keep the glue good.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.