sticky chuck/faceplate
Was on the lathe again today and recall seeing people with stuck chucks. Here is what I did and have never had anything that wouldn't come off with more than minimal effort. I had some ultra high molecular polyethylene laying around and made a washer to back up the faceplate or chuck

I have heard it said (actually read it on the internet so it must be true) that a chuck depends on seating of that back face to maintain running square and that a plastic washer can mess that up. They go on to suggest that an oiled piece of copy paper cut into a washer will allow the chuck to release but will not mess up the squareness.

I have not had the problem so I have not tried this potential solution.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
I would think it was OK since it was High and not Low and should seat solid.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I had a problem with a stuck chuck maybe 5 years ago. Since then I always use a washer cut out of a plastic milk jug with a chuck or faceplate. If I remember correctly I am only on the second one. Saw this idea somwhere. Can't remember where. Always seats square and have never had a problem since.
(03-27-2019, 11:41 AM)SceneryMaker Wrote: I have heard it said (actually read it on the internet so it must be true) that a chuck depends on seating of that back face to maintain running square and that a plastic washer can mess that up. They go on to suggest that an oiled piece of copy paper cut into a washer will allow the chuck to release but will not mess up the squareness.

I have not had the problem so I have not tried this potential solution.

You probably make sure the chuck is secure before you turn the lathe on?  All it takes, really, though I have experienced some folks who believe in reversing forget to do it when they go back to CCW rotation, jamming the threads.  

Most answers I've seen advocate a washer made of a piece of plastic milk container.  Betting the deviation in thickness of the product is infinitesimal, personally.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I use cardboard from a box, cereal box for example.  It makes a HUGE difference!
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Plastic from a gallon milk jug also works well.  Been using one of those for years and never had an issue with it.
I put a wrap on of blue painters tape. Trim off the excess on the threads and replace as it shows wear. Last quite a long time and I'm not always hunting for my plastic washers.
(03-27-2019, 11:15 AM)PVW Wrote: Was on the lathe again today and recall seeing people with stuck chucks. Here is what I did and have never had anything that wouldn't come off with more than minimal effort. I had some ultra high molecular polyethylene laying around and made a washer to back up the faceplate or chuck
Those flexible chopping "boards" sold at the dollar stores for a buck or so make good washers...They are the right density and thickness...but I use Anti-Seize compound on the threads....no danger of causing the chuck to freeze to the head shaft...It contains Moly or graphite which does not oxidize and turn to varnish over time, like ordinary lubricants.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I've never used a washer and never had a stuck chuck. I hold the chuck and turn the handwheel until it stops, then lock it with set screws. Most stuck chucks are a result of installing it too tight, in my opinion.

Also, I've never had a chuck that didn't have set screws, my opinion might be biased.