sticky chuck/faceplate
(03-29-2019, 07:51 AM)hairy Wrote: I've never used a washer and never had a stuck chuck. I hold the chuck and turn the handwheel until it stops, then lock it with set screws. Most stuck chucks are a result of installing it too tight, in my opinion.

Also, I've never had a chuck that didn't have set screws, my opinion might be biased.

I've only one insert for my chucks which has a set screw to tighten on the drive thread - my reversible 1"/8.  As mentioned, there never has been a problem jamming if I don't let the lathe do the tightening.  OTOH, the variety of "solutions" to this non-problem appear to be fairly innocuous.  Unnecessary, but easily accommodated.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(03-29-2019, 07:51 AM)hairy Wrote: I've never used a washer and never had a stuck chuck. I hold the chuck and turn the handwheel until it stops, then lock it with set screws. Most stuck chucks are a result of installing it too tight, in my opinion.

Also, I've never had a chuck that didn't have set screws, my opinion might be biased.

I had one on an old 1948 South Bend metal lathe that I thought I would never get off without damaging the headstock..It had been on so long that the grease/oil on the threads had turned to varnish..Repeated drenching with lacquer thinner finally dissolved it enough where I could break it free. No set-screws on this one or any of my other lathes..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset